1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial Value Problem

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    I need some help with an initial value problem. It looked pretty easy at a glance, but I've ended up spending over 3 hours on this one problem.

The problem is as follows:

(e^(-y)+1)(sin(x) = (1+cos(x)) dy/dx

With y(0) = 0.

I rearranged the equation to get

sin(x) / (1+cos(x)) dx = 1 / (e^(-y)+1) dy

But at this point, I can't figure out how to integrate the two equations. I'm fairly (but not entirely) sure that the antiderivative of the y side is simply ln(e^(y)+1), but I'm at a loss for the x side. Is there something simple I'm missing, or did I go about the entire problem incorrectly?

Edit:
    Moments after posting this, I realized that the antiderivative of sin(x) / (cos(x) +1) is (cos(x)+1)^-1+C. I'll see where I can go from there and edit if I get anything out of it.

Re-Edit:
    Nope, actually, that was pretty dumb. Just realized that the 1+cos(x) would have to be squared under the denominator for that to be true. Back to square 1! Perhaps it's -ln|1+cos(x)|? But I think you can't do that with trig functions...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That, in fact, is perfectly ok. For the other side think about doing a substitution.

4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Now it's the x side that's cleared up and the y side that I'm stuck on. I'll go through the substitution loops and see what I get...

Hm. Doesn't really seem like I can get a clean substitution... Gonna keep at it, though.

I think I have it. Ended up with y = ln(1+cos(x)) + C, with C = ln(2)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  5. Feb 19, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To integrate sin(x)/(cos(x)+1) dx, let u= cos(x)+1, so that du= -sin(x)dx.

To integrate 1/(e-x+ 1) dx, let u= e-x+ 1, so that du= -e-x dx. e-x= u- 1: du= -(u-1)dx so dx= -1/(u-1) du. 1/(e-x+ 1)dx= 1/(u(u-1)) du.

6. Feb 19, 2007 #5
    Thank you very much! The substitutions really help to put things into perspective.

However... I am now having an embarrassing amount of trouble integrating 1/(u(u-1)) du.

I think it comes out to ln(u/u+1)), but when I try to expand and then unsubstitute, one of my variables cancels itself out.

The answer given in the back of the book is (1 + cos(x))(e^(y) + 1) = 4. I tried working backwards from there, but to no avail. What I'm not sure of is how the exponential y becomes positive while staying grouped with the +1. Not sure if what I just said makes sense, but after spending 6 nonconsecutive hours on this one problem today, my brains are turning to mush...

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6
    Break it into partial fractions,

[tex]\frac{A}{u} + \frac{B}{u-1} [/tex]

8. Feb 20, 2007 #7
    Aaaah! I knew that there was something that I'd forgotten! I haven't used partial fractions since last year, so it just slipped my mind... Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?