Solve Initial Value Problem: dy/dt = ty(4-y)/3 with y(0) = a | Calculus Homework

In summary, the author is asking how the value of the solution to a/4=D depends on the initial value a. If a=0, the solution is y/(4-y)=0*exp((2/3)t^2), otherwise it is y/(4-y)=D*exp((2/3)t^2)+4C.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello, I am wondering if someone can look at the following:

suppose I'm given an initial value problem: dy/dt = ty(4-y)/3 with y(0) = a.

So, if I separable the variables, i would get:

dy/4(4-y) = t/3dt
and I would get by partial fractions
(1/4)*lny-(1/4)ln(4-y) = t^2/6 + C
(1/4)*ln(y/4-y) = t^2/6+C
or (y/4-y) = e^((2/3)t^2 +4C)

so can anyone tell me how I would determine how the value of the solution would vary depending on the initial value a? in other words, how could i get this into a nice form y = ...

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I am wondering if someone can look at the following:

suppose I'm given an initial value problem: dy/dt = ty(4-y)/3 with y(0) = a.

So, if I separable the variables, i would get:

dy/4(4-y) = t/3dt
I presume that is a typo: dy/(y(4-y))= (t/3)dt

and I would get by partial fractions
(1/4)*lny-(1/4)ln(4-y) = t^2/6 + C
(1/4)*ln(y/4-y) = t^2/6+C
or (y/4-y) = e^((2/3)t^2 +4C)[/quote ]
y/(4-y) looks better- many people would read y/4-y as (y/4)- y.
Of course, e^((2/3)t^2+ 4C)= (e^(4C))(e^((2/3)t^2)
and since C could be any number, anyway, call that e^(4C), C".
y/(4-y)= C' e^((2/3)t^2)

so can anyone tell me how I would determine how the value of the solution would vary depending on the initial value a? in other words, how could i get this into a nice form y = ...

Thanks very much.
By "initial value" you mean y(0)= a? Okay, replace t by 0, y by a and solve for C' (or C).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can write the solution a little more nicely as y/(4-y)=D*exp((2/3)t^2) (where D=exp(4C) - but it's still just a constant). So your initial value problem is a/(4-a)=D. Solve for a. Clear the fractions, move all the a's to one side etc. You can solve for y(t) in the same way.

Got it. Many thanks!

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation given a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions typically include the value of the dependent variable at a specific point in time or space.

What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem involves finding the solution to a differential equation at a specific point in time or space, while a boundary value problem involves finding the solution at multiple points in time or space. Additionally, initial value problems typically have a unique solution, while boundary value problems may have multiple solutions.

What are some common methods for solving initial value problems?

Some common methods for solving initial value problems include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the shooting method. These methods use different approaches to approximate the solution to the differential equation at various points in time or space.

Why are initial value problems important in science?

Initial value problems are important in science because many natural phenomena can be described by differential equations. By finding the solution to these equations, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of these phenomena, such as the growth of populations, the spread of diseases, and the movement of objects.

What are some real-world applications of initial value problems?

Initial value problems have a wide range of real-world applications, including in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model the dynamics of chemical reactions, the motion of particles in a fluid, the spread of epidemics, and the behavior of financial markets.