Solving the Initial Value Problem: y' = (3x^2)/[(3y^2)-4] where y(0)=1

In summary, the conversation is about solving an initial value problem involving a separable differential equation. The solution involves integrating both sides and using the given initial condition to find the constant. The speaker realizes that the solution was simpler than expected.
robierob12
Im having a little issue figuring out this intial value problem.

Solve the Initial Value Problem
y' = (3x^2)/[(3y^2)-4] where y(0)=1

Looks like I can solve it as a seperable DE.

dy/dx = (3x^2)/[(3y^2)-4]

[(3y^2)-4] dy = (3x^2) dx

Integrating both sides...

(y^3) - 4y = (x^3) + c

I don't see how to get this in terms of y = (explicitly)
to find my c...

Am I just missing some easy algebra or did I use the worng method for this one?

Thanks,
Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
robierob12 said:
Im having a little issue figuring out this intial value problem.

Solve the Initial Value Problem
y' = (3x^2)/[(3y^2)-4] where y(0)=1
[tex]y' = \frac{3x^2}{3y^2-4}[/tex]
So,
[tex](3y^2-4)y' = 3x^2[/tex]
Integrate,
[tex]\int (3y^2-4)y' dx = \int 3x^2 dx[/tex].
That means,
[tex]y^3 - 4y = x^3 + C[/tex]
Now at [tex]x=0[/tex] it means [tex]y=1[/tex].
Use this to find [tex]C[/tex] and complete the problem.

It's funny sometimes how easy something can end up being... just pluging in a point.

Thanks,
Rob

What is an Initial Value Problem?

An Initial Value Problem (IVP) is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions typically involve specifying the value of the function and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain.

What is the difference between an IVP and a Boundary Value Problem?

While an IVP involves finding a function that satisfies a differential equation and a set of initial conditions at a specific point, a Boundary Value Problem (BVP) involves finding a function that satisfies a differential equation and a set of conditions at different points in the domain. In other words, a BVP involves finding a function that satisfies the differential equation at both the boundary points of the domain.

How is an IVP solved?

An IVP can be solved using various methods, such as the Euler method, Runge-Kutta method, or the Picard's method. These methods involve approximating the solution by breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to find the solution.

What are the applications of IVP?

IVPs are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve continuous change, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects.

What are the limitations of IVP?

IVPs can only be used to solve differential equations that have a unique solution for a given set of initial conditions. They also cannot be used to solve differential equations with discontinuous or non-differentiable functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the chosen method and the size of the time steps used in the calculations.