1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial-value problem

1. Jan 10, 2016 #1
    Wondering why getting different values of "C" depending on how I solve the question. Not sure the values are different. Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the initial value problem [itex]cos(x)Ln(y) \frac{dy} {dx} =ysin(x) [/itex], y>0, y(0)=e2.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]∫ \frac{Ln(y)} {y} dy=∫ \frac{sin x} {cos x} dx [/itex]

u=Ln(y)
    [itex]du=\frac{1} {y}[/itex] dy
    dy=y du​

[itex]∫ \frac{u} {y} y du=∫ tan(x) dx [/itex]
    ## \frac{1} {2}u^2+C_1=Ln|sec(x)| + C_2 ##
    ##\frac{1} {2}Ln^2 (y)=Ln|sec(x)| + C_3 ## ,Since ## C=C_2-C_1 ##
    ## Ln(y)=± \sqrt{2 Ln|sec(x)|+C} ## Equation #1
    ## y=e^{± √(2Ln|sec(x)|+C)} ##
    --------------
    ## e^2=e^{+√(2Ln|sec(x)|+C)} ## Since y(0)=e2. Also, exponent cannot be -ve since LS.=RS.
    ## e^2=e^{+√(2(0)+C)} ##
    ##2=√C ##
    ## C=4 ##

Therefore ## y=e^{± √(2Ln|sec(x)|+4)} ## <--- ANS #1

However, if we try solving for C using eqn #1:

## \frac{1}{2}Ln^2(y)=Ln|sec(x)|+C ##
    ## \frac{1}{2}Ln^2(e^2)=Ln|sec(0)|+C ##
    ## \frac{1}{2}(2^2)Ln^2(e)=Ln(1)+C ##
    ## 2(1)=0+C ##
    Therefore, ## y=e^{± √(2Ln|sec(x)|+2)} ## <----ANS #2.

However, obviously ANS #1 ≠ ANS #2. Can someone please help me understand why and what I did wrong?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't use eqn #1 in the second part, but the equation immediately above it:
    ##\frac{1} {2}Ln^2 (y)=Ln|sec(x)| + C_3 ##
    Notice that ##C_3## is not equal to your final ##C##.

4. Jan 10, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The two "C" here differ by a factor of 2.
    Approach 1 is correct, approach 2 gives you C3 = 1/2 C = 2 which leads to C=4 as well.

5. Jan 10, 2016 #4
    I'm not sure I follow.

To solve for the correct answer for "C" (which is C=4 according to the textbook), all I did was rearrange ## \frac{1}{2}Ln^2(y)=Ln|sec(x)|+C ## to solve for "y" and then subbing in the initial values x=0, and y=e^2 gives you ## e^2=e^{\sqrt{C}} ## from which you get C=4. But, when I sub in the initial values directly into ## \frac{1}{2}Ln^2(y)=Ln|sec(x)|+C ## and rearrange for C I get a different answer. It's unclear to me why I'm getting different answers because in both cases the variable C is the same. Solving for C two different ways when you're only rearranging the equation differently to find C should give you the same answer if you apply the rules of logarithms and exponents correctly. The fact that I'm not getting the same value of C means that I'm not understanding some basic concept of math or that I'm making a mistake when I'm rearranging and solving for C.

6. Jan 10, 2016 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You forgot to multiply C2-C1 by 2.

7. Jan 11, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(bolding mine)
    What I bolded is wrong.
    When you solve for ##C## using ## y=e^{± √(2Ln|sec(x)|+C)} ##, you find ##C=4##. That is correct.
    When you solve for ##C_3## using ##\frac{1} {2}Ln^2 (y)=Ln|sec(x)| + C_3 ##, you find ##C_3=2##. That is correct too.
    But, as mfb, ehild and myself have mentionned, the constants in these two equations are not equal. You confused yourself by renaming ##C_3## to ##C## when you tried to find the constant using ##\frac{1} {2}Ln^2 (y)=Ln|sec(x)| + C_3 ##.
    Let's rewrite you equations keeping ##C_3##:
    ##\frac{1} {2}Ln^2 (y)=Ln|sec(x)| + C_3 ##
    ## Ln(y)=± \sqrt{2 Ln|sec(x)|+2C_3} ##
    ## y=e^{± √(2Ln|sec(x)|+2C_3)} ##.

You see? Your final ##C=2C_3##, that's why you find 4 using one equation, and 2 using the other.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted