What is the Initial Velocity of a Cannon Ball Fired at 45 Degrees?

In summary: So, in summary, a cannon ball weighing 128 pounds is fired from a cannon at 45 degrees above the horizontal. The cannon ball's initial velocity is a vector with a magnitude of 28 ft/s and an angle of 45 degrees from the x-axis. The cannon ball lands in a pool with a radius of 14 feet, located 98 feet from the cannon and 7.5 feet above the ground. It takes 4 seconds for the cannon ball to travel through the air and land in the exact center of the pool.
derpingmath

Homework Statement

A cannon ball weighing 128 pounds is fired from a cannon at 45 degrees above the horizontal. The cannon ball lands in a pool that has a radius of 14 feet and located 7.5 feet above the ground. The closest edge of the net is 98 feet from the cannon. It takes 4 seconds for the cannon ball to travel through the air and land in the exact center of the pool. What was the initial velocity of the cannon ball in ft/s?

Homework Equations

I am completely lost on this. I think I should start at range and work backwards. I could really use help understanding how to break this down.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have Vi which is what I am solving for. I have time (t)=4/s. I know d=vt and to solve for v it would be v=d/t. I think the distance traveled would be 98+14=112/ft. so v=28ft/s. I think at this point I have d,t,v. This is where I am lost. Am I even right on the distance, and where to go from here. I do not understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, welcome to Physics Forums.

You're doing everything right in the x-dimension, but you also need to consider the y-dimension. You found that since the ball travels 112 feet in the x-direction, its velocity in the x-direction is a constant 28 m/s. I would call the point at 112 feet xf (for x final) and the velocity in the x direction vx.

Since the ball's vx is a constant 28 m/s, we can also say that its initial velocity (vix) is 28 m/s. Now, since the ball was fired at 45°, this makes the initial velocity (vi) a vector which is 45° from the x-axis. We know that the x-component of this vector is vix, and we know the angle of the vector, so:

[itex]\displaystyle cos(45°)=\frac{v_{ix}}{v_i}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle v_i=\frac{v_{ix}}{cos(45°)}[/itex]

still a little lost. Doesnt the 7.5 feet above the ground have something to do with it?

A cannon ball weighing 128 pounds is fired from a cannon at 45 degrees above the horizontal. The cannon ball lands in a pool that has a radius of 14 feet and located 7.5 feet above the ground. The closest edge of the net is 98 feet from the cannon. It takes 4 seconds for the cannon ball to travel through the air and land in the exact center of the pool. What was the initial velocity of the cannon ball in ft/s?
--------
May I know what the underline sentence refers to?

should be the closest edge of the pool.

So the pools edge is 98 feet from the cannon.Cannon ---------------98ft---------------Pool's edge

I don't have Vi which is what I am solving for. I have time (t)=4/s. I know d=vt and to solve for v it would be v=d/t. I think the distance traveled would be 98+14=112/ft. so v=28ft/s. I think at this point I have d,t,v. This is where I am lost. Am I even right on the distance, and where to go from here. I do not understand this
------
You have found vx.
V is the resultant of vx and vy.
The angle of projection is given , use trig. function to solve for v.

derpingmath said:
still a little lost. Doesnt the 7.5 feet above the ground have something to do with it?

You don't need to use that information to solve the problem. Since you found one component of the initial velocity (vix), and the problem tells you that the initial velocity is angled at 45°, that's all the information you need. You simply need to calculate the magnitude of the vi vector as I described above.

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction at the start of its movement.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating initial velocity is: initial velocity = (final velocity - acceleration x time). This equation is derived from the kinematic equations of motion.

3. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction that is defined in the problem. It does not necessarily mean that the object is slowing down.

4. How does initial velocity affect an object's motion?

The initial velocity of an object determines the speed and direction of its motion. A higher initial velocity will result in a faster motion, while a lower initial velocity will result in a slower motion. The direction of the initial velocity will also determine the direction of the object's motion.

5. Can initial velocity change?

Yes, initial velocity can change. Any external force acting on an object can change its initial velocity. This change in initial velocity will then affect the object's motion, as it will change its speed and direction.