Find Initial Velocity Formula | 30.0m Height

In summary, to find the initial velocity of an object thrown vertically into the air and reaching a height of 30.0 m, neglecting air friction, the equation to use is v2=u2+2as, where v is the final velocity (0 m/s), a is the acceleration (-9.81 m/s^2), and s is the displacement (30.0 m). The initial velocity can be found by rearranging the equation to u2=2as and taking the square root of both sides. Therefore, the initial velocity of the object was 24.5 m/s.
Brittykitty
What formula would I use to find the initial velocity?

An object is thrown vertically into the air and reaches a height of 30.0 m. Neglecting air friction, what was the object’s initial velocity?

I don't quite remember how to do this. Is it 30.0m / 9.81[m/s]^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are mainly three equations of motion

[tex]s= ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

[tex]v=u+at[/tex]

[tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex]

u= initial velocity
v= final velocity
s= displacement.

Which one has all of the information you need in it? (note: a is acceleration, which is just 'g' in your case)

Hello :)
I'm not given the time so I'm assuming its v^2=u^2+2as ?

Brittykitty said:
Hello :)
I'm not given the time so I'm assuming its v^2=u^2+2as ?

Yes, also since the maximum height is given you have the final velocity.

Thank you! :)
one more question, how would I find the initial velocity? Would it be 0? or 9.81[m/s]^2? don't remember that part either :\

Brittykitty said:
Thank you! :)
one more question, how would I find the initial velocity? Would it be 0? or 9.81[m/s]^2? don't remember that part either :\

Remember m/s2 are the units for acceleration, so in your equation, your acceleration is -9.81.

At the maximum height, the object stops rising. So the final velocity is?

When you understand these two things, using the equation you told me it would be v2=u2+2as, you can can find 'u'.

rock.freak667 said:
Remember m/s2 are the units for acceleration, so in your equation, your acceleration is -9.81.

At the maximum height, the object stops rising. So the final velocity is?

When you understand these two things, using the equation you told me it would be v2=u2+2as, you can can find 'u'.

the final velocity would be (30.0m) (-9.81)?

Brittykitty said:
the final velocity would be (30.0m) (-9.81)?

no, remember the object's goes up, reaches the maximum height and then moves back down to Earth. So during this, the velocity goes from +ve to 'something' (at max) and then -ve as it moves back down to Earth. What is the 'something' ?

displacement? :\

Brittykitty said:
displacement? :\

no no, I am trying to get you to understand what the final velocity is at the maximum height.

Say you throw something up in the air. It does not continuously move upwards, eventually it fall back down, for it to change direction, what must it instantaneously do?

For a similar analogy, say you are driving forwards, for you to move backwards, what should happen to your forward velocity before you start to move backwards?

It would decrease velocity? =)

Brittykitty said:
It would decrease velocity? =)

Right yes, as it moves up, it decrease velocity until it reaches what at the max height?

(Because for it to change direction, it needs to stop moving up and then start moving down)

final velocity?

Brittykitty said:
final velocity?

If at the maximum height the object instantaneously stops, the final velocity is?

0? :)

Brittykitty said:
0? :)

Right! So v=0

v2=u2+2as

v=0
u2+2as = 0

(remember 'a' is negative)

Thanks! :)
So..
a=-9.81m/s
s=30.0m
v=0
u2??

How would I find the initial velocity now?

30*-9.81?

Brittykitty said:
Thanks! :)
So..
a=-9.81m/s
s=30.0m
v=0
u2??

How would I find the initial velocity now?

Brittykitty said:
30*-9.81?

u2-2as=0

rearrange for u2 and then take the square root of both sides.

1. What is the formula for finding initial velocity with a given height?

The formula for finding initial velocity with a given height is:
v0 = √(2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the given height in meters.

2. How do you use the formula to find initial velocity?

To use the formula, plug in the known values for g and h, and then solve for v0. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable (meters for h and m/s² for g).

3. Can the formula be used for any initial height?

Yes, the formula can be used for any initial height as long as it is given in meters. The formula assumes that the object is starting from rest at the given height.

4. What is the significance of finding initial velocity?

Finding initial velocity is important in understanding the motion of an object. It can help determine the speed and direction of an object's motion at the beginning of its trajectory.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

The formula assumes that the object is starting from rest at the given height and that there are no external forces acting on it. It also does not take into account air resistance, which can affect the actual initial velocity of an object in real-world situations.