Find Initial Velocity: Time = 2.58s, Distance = 9.87m

In summary, the problem is asking to find the initial velocity of a ball given the time and distance it has traveled. The equation vi=v-at can be used to solve for the initial velocity. However, if the ball is falling, the acceleration would be 10m/s^2 instead of 0.
Jillypilly9

Homework Statement

Find the initial velocity of a ball with the time=2.58 seconds and distance of 9.87 meters

Homework Equations

vi=v-at

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to find the acceleration with just time and distance is it just 9.8 m^3/second?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't gather from the problem that the ball experiences any acceleration. The really basic equation that comes to mind is: x=xo+vot+½at2. Give that a try.

In the case that the ball is falling vertically, a=10ms-² instead of zero (9.81ms-² if you wanted to be more precise).

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:
Jillypilly9 said:

Homework Statement

Find the initial velocity of a ball with the time=2.58 seconds and distance of 9.87 meters

Homework Equations

vi=v-at

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to find the acceleration with just time and distance is it just 9.8 m^3/second?
How exactly is the problem worded? Is there any indication that the ball is falling?

1. What is the formula for finding initial velocity?

The formula for finding initial velocity is v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. How do I use the given time and distance to find the initial velocity?

To find the initial velocity, plug in the given values of time and distance into the formula v = d/t. In this case, it would be v = 9.87m/2.58s = 3.82m/s.

3. Is the initial velocity the same as the average velocity?

No, the initial velocity is the velocity at the beginning of the motion, while the average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time.

4. Can I use this formula to find the initial velocity in any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the initial velocity in any type of motion, as long as the distance and time are known.

5. What are the units of measurement for initial velocity?

The units of measurement for initial velocity depend on the units used for distance and time. In this case, the units would be meters per second (m/s).