1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Injective and surjective?

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1
    Hello! I hope I've posted this in the correct section...

I'm a 3rd year undergraduate and we're currently studying Vector Spaces (in QM) and I just don't understand what injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto) mean? As a result I have no idea what an isomorphism is!

I realise this is probably a very simple question, but I'm just struggling so much with the course!

Cheers, Samantha

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ok, the first thing you have two focus on, is that you have two SETS, call them A and B.
    Both A and B has elements, determinable by some criterion.

Now, a MAPPING from A to B takes each element in A and "relates" it to some unique element in B.

To say that a mapping is injective means that there are no two elements in A that are related to the same element in B. Thus, knowing the mapping procedure along with the element in B, we can DEDUCE from this what is the element in A which is related to the known element in A.
    If we denote the element in B related to element x in A with f(x), this means that if f(x)=f(y), then x=y (only ONE unique element in A is related to the value of f(x))

To say that a map is SURJECTIVE means that whatever element Y in B you pick out, there exist an x in A so that Y=f(x).
    The map covers B, so to speak.

Is this clear?

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    Yeah! Thanks a lot :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?