Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structrues

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Hello all

This question relates to products of structures all with the same symbol set [itex]S[/itex]. After I give a little background the question follows.

*Direct Products*

This definition of the direct product is taken from Ebbinghaus, et.al.

Let [itex]I[/itex] be a nonempty set. For every [itex]i\in I[/itex], let [itex]\mathcal{A}_{i}[/itex]
    be an [itex]S-[/itex]structure. The domain of the direct product is
    [itex]\left\{ g:g\in\left[I\rightarrow\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}\right]\wedge\forall i\in I\left(g\left(i\right)\in A_{i}\right)\right\} .[/itex]

Here, [itex]\left[I\rightarrow\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}\right][/itex] denotes the
    set of all functions whose domain is [itex]I[/itex] and range contained in [itex]\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex].
    For [itex]g\in\prod_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex], we also write [itex]\left\langle g\left(i\right):i\in I\right\rangle [/itex].

For a constant symbol [itex]c[/itex],
    [itex]
    c^{\mathcal{A}}:=\left\langle c^{\mathcal{A}_{i}}:i\in I\right\rangle .
    [/itex]

For an [itex]n-[/itex]ary relation symbol [itex]R[/itex] and for [itex]g_{1},...,g_{n}\in\prod_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex],
    say that [itex]R^{\mathcal{A}}g_{1}...g_{n}[/itex] iff for all [itex]i\in I[/itex], [itex]R^{\mathcal{A}_{i}}g_{1}\left(i\right)...g_{n}(i)[/itex].

For an [itex]n-[/itex]ary function symbol [itex]f[/itex] and for [itex]g_{1},...,g_{n}\in\prod_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex],
    say that
    [itex]f^{\mathcal{A}}\left(g_{1},...,g_{n}\right):=\left\langle f^{\mathcal{A}_{i}}\left(g_{1}\left(i\right),...,g_{n}\left(i\right)\right):i\in I\right\rangle .[/itex]

*Partial Isomorphisms (One-to-one Homomorphisms)*

Ebbinghaus defines a partial isomorphism to be an injective homomorphism
    on page 180.

Suppose [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] are [itex]S-[/itex]structures and
    [itex]p[/itex] is a map whose domain is a subset of [itex]A[/itex] and range is a subset
    of [itex]B[/itex]. Then [itex]p[/itex] is called a partial isomorphism if

[itex]p[/itex] is injective
    [itex]p[/itex] is a homomorphism in the following sense

for any constant symbol [itex]c[/itex] and any [itex]a\in\mathsf{dom}\left(p\right)[/itex],
    [itex]c^{\mathcal{A}}=a[/itex] iff [itex]c^{\mathcal{B}}=p\left(a\right)[/itex]

for any [itex]n-[/itex]ary relation symbol [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]a_{1},...,a_{n}\in\mathsf{dom}\left(p\right)[/itex],
    [itex]R^{\mathcal{A}}a_{1}...a_{n}[/itex] iff [itex]R^{\mathcal{B}}p(a_{1})...p(a_{n})[/itex]

for any [itex]n-[/itex]ary function symbol [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]a_{1},...,a_{n}\in\mathsf{dom}\left(p\right)[/itex],
    [itex]f^{\mathcal{A}}(a_{1},...,a_{n})=a[/itex] iff [itex]f^{\mathcal{B}}(p(a_{1}),...,p(a_{n}))=p(a)[/itex]

**The Question**

Do there exist maps [itex]p_{i}:A_{i}\rightarrow A[/itex] that are partial isomorphisms?

If not, then is there any way to take a family of structures and "create" a new structure that each structure in the family can be homomorphically injected into the new structure?

This is an answer someone gave me:
    How do we know that homomorphism [itex]\mathcal{F}_{i_0}[/itex] exists?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted