Injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structrues

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Injective
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of direct products and partial isomorphisms, and the question is posed as to whether there exist maps that are partial isomorphisms between structures. The answer is given that in a category of algebras satisfying certain conditions, the product of a family of structures will work and allow for the creation of a new structure that each structure in the family can be homomorphically injected into. It is also asked whether this homomorphism always exists for any family of objects.
phoenixthoth
Hello all

This question relates to products of structures all with the same symbol set [itex]S[/itex]. After I give a little background the question follows.

*Direct Products*

This definition of the direct product is taken from Ebbinghaus, et.al.

Let [itex]I[/itex] be a nonempty set. For every [itex]i\in I[/itex], let [itex]\mathcal{A}_{i}[/itex]
be an [itex]S-[/itex]structure. The domain of the direct product is
[itex]\left\{ g:g\in\left[I\rightarrow\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}\right]\wedge\forall i\in I\left(g\left(i\right)\in A_{i}\right)\right\} .[/itex]

Here, [itex]\left[I\rightarrow\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}\right][/itex] denotes the
set of all functions whose domain is [itex]I[/itex] and range contained in [itex]\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex].
For [itex]g\in\prod_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex], we also write [itex]\left\langle g\left(i\right):i\in I\right\rangle [/itex].

For a constant symbol [itex]c[/itex],
[itex]
c^{\mathcal{A}}:=\left\langle c^{\mathcal{A}_{i}}:i\in I\right\rangle .
[/itex]

For an [itex]n-[/itex]ary relation symbol [itex]R[/itex] and for [itex]g_{1},...,g_{n}\in\prod_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex],
say that [itex]R^{\mathcal{A}}g_{1}...g_{n}[/itex] iff for all [itex]i\in I[/itex], [itex]R^{\mathcal{A}_{i}}g_{1}\left(i\right)...g_{n}(i)[/itex].

For an [itex]n-[/itex]ary function symbol [itex]f[/itex] and for [itex]g_{1},...,g_{n}\in\prod_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex],
say that
[itex]f^{\mathcal{A}}\left(g_{1},...,g_{n}\right):=\left\langle f^{\mathcal{A}_{i}}\left(g_{1}\left(i\right),...,g_{n}\left(i\right)\right):i\in I\right\rangle .[/itex]

*Partial Isomorphisms (One-to-one Homomorphisms)*

Ebbinghaus defines a partial isomorphism to be an injective homomorphism
on page 180.

Suppose [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] are [itex]S-[/itex]structures and
[itex]p[/itex] is a map whose domain is a subset of [itex]A[/itex] and range is a subset
of [itex]B[/itex]. Then [itex]p[/itex] is called a partial isomorphism if

[itex]p[/itex] is injective
[itex]p[/itex] is a homomorphism in the following sense

for any constant symbol [itex]c[/itex] and any [itex]a\in\mathsf{dom}\left(p\right)[/itex],
[itex]c^{\mathcal{A}}=a[/itex] iff [itex]c^{\mathcal{B}}=p\left(a\right)[/itex]

for any [itex]n-[/itex]ary relation symbol [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]a_{1},...,a_{n}\in\mathsf{dom}\left(p\right)[/itex],
[itex]R^{\mathcal{A}}a_{1}...a_{n}[/itex] iff [itex]R^{\mathcal{B}}p(a_{1})...p(a_{n})[/itex]

for any [itex]n-[/itex]ary function symbol [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]a_{1},...,a_{n}\in\mathsf{dom}\left(p\right)[/itex],
[itex]f^{\mathcal{A}}(a_{1},...,a_{n})=a[/itex] iff [itex]f^{\mathcal{B}}(p(a_{1}),...,p(a_{n}))=p(a)[/itex]

**The Question**

Do there exist maps [itex]p_{i}:A_{i}\rightarrow A[/itex] that are partial isomorphisms?

If not, then is there any way to take a family of structures and "create" a new structure that each structure in the family can be homomorphically injected into the new structure?

This is an answer someone gave me:
More generally, if you are working in a category of algebras where:

1. For any two objects [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], there is always at least one morphism from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex]; and
2. For any family [itex]\{A_i\}_{i\in I}[/itex] of objects there is a (categorical) product,

then the product of the family of structures will always work (assuming the Axiom of Choice): for given a family [itex]\{A_i\}_{i\in I}[/itex], if [itex](P,\pi_i)[/itex] is the product, then for pair [itex](i,j)[/itex] let [itex]f_{ij}\colon A_i\to A_j[/itex] be an arbitrary morphism if [itex]i\neq j[/itex], and let [itex]f_{ij}=\mathrm{id}_{A_i}[/itex] if [itex]i=j[/itex]. Then the family [itex]f_{i_0,j}\colon A_{i_0}\to A_j[/itex] induces a homomoprhism into the product [itex]\mathcal{F}_{i_0}\colon A_{i_0}\to P[/itex] such that [itex]f_{i_0,j}=\pi_j\circ \mathcal{F}_{i_0}[/itex] for each [itex]j[/itex]; in particular, [itex]\mathrm{id}_{A_{i_0}} = \pi_{i_0}\circ \mathcal{F}_{i_0}[/itex], so [itex]\mathcal{F}_{i_0}[/itex] must be one-to-one, giving the desired immersion.

How do we know that homomorphism [itex]\mathcal{F}_{i_0}[/itex] exists?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it always true that for any family \{A_i\}_{i\in I} of objects, there is a homomorphism into the product?

1. What is an injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structures?

An injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structures is a mathematical concept that refers to a function between two algebraic structures that preserves the structure and is one-to-one. In other words, it is a function that maps elements from one structure to another in a way that preserves the operations and relationships between them, and no two distinct elements from the first structure are mapped to the same element in the second structure.

2. How is an injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structures different from a regular homomorphism?

An injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structures differs from a regular homomorphism in that it is one-to-one, whereas a regular homomorphism may map multiple elements to the same element. This means that an injective homomorphism is also an embedding, as it injects one structure into another without losing any information.

3. What is an amalgam of structures?

An amalgam of structures is a mathematical construction that combines two or more algebraic structures into a single structure. It is created by taking the union of the underlying sets of the individual structures and defining the operations and relations in a way that is consistent with all of the structures. This allows for the study of multiple structures simultaneously and can provide new insights and connections between them.

4. What are some examples of injective homomorphisms into an amalgam of structures?

Some examples of injective homomorphisms into an amalgam of structures include the inclusion map from the natural numbers to the integers, which preserves the addition and multiplication operations, and the map from a graph to its line graph, which preserves the adjacency relationships between vertices.

5. How is an injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structures useful in mathematics?

An injective homomorphism into an amalgam of structures is useful in mathematics because it allows for the study of multiple structures simultaneously and can reveal connections and patterns that may not be apparent when studying each structure individually. It also helps in understanding the properties and behaviors of the individual structures in relation to each other, which can aid in solving problems and proving theorems.