1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Injective one to one proof?

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E ⊆ R and f : E → R a decreasing function for all x ∈ E. Prove that f is injective.

The attempt at a solution

I tried that f were not injective.
    Then, there exist x < y such that f(x) = f(y)
    -This contradicts f being a decreasing function.
    I think this is right, but I am unsure what to do now

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In what way are you unsure that x<y and f(x)=f(y) contradicts f being a decreasing function? What's your definition of 'decreasing function'?

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    For a one to one function that is decreasing i have that x < y so therefore f(x) < f(y). So f(x) is not equal to f(y)).

or have i got this the wrong way around?

5. May 13, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, if f(x)=f(y) for x<y then that would contradict the assumption that f is decreasing, yes? I'm still confused about where you are confused.

6. May 13, 2012 #5
    Yes it would. I thought it would be easier to prove though contradiction my question, but I am unsure whether this is the best way to prove this/right approach.

Sorry for the confusion

7. May 13, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are assuming f(x)=f(y) for x<y then you ARE doing a proof by contradiction. You've assumed f is not injective. And it is the right way to go. Maybe it would be better if you showed your whole proof step by step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook