Injectivity and Set Intersection: Exploring the Validity of a Proposition

• Thread starter daveyinaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discussed the validity of a proof involving the proposition that if f(A \cap B) = f(A) \cap f(B), then f is injective. The proposed proof used a counterexample to show that this is not always true. However, the argument was found to be flawed as the sets A and B were assigned specific values instead of being arbitrary, making the proof incomplete. The conversation also touched on the concept of injectivity and how it relates to the statement being proven.
daveyinaz
Alright, I would like to pose a question on the validity of this argument, I seem to be caught on whether or not to believe it.

The proposition is, if, for any sets A and B, [itex]f(A \cap B) = f(A) \cap f(B)[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] is injective.

Proposed proof:
Let's look at the contrapositive, that is if [itex]f[/itex] is not injective, then [itex]f(A \cap B) \neq f(A) \cap f(B)[/itex]. Since we already know that [itex]f(A \cap B) \subseteq f(A) \cap f(B)[/itex] by some earlier exercise. Let us assume for the sake of contradiction that [itex]f(A) \cap f(B) \subseteq f(A \cap B)[/itex]. Now consider, A = {1, 2, 3}, B = {1, 2} and f = {(1,1), (2,2), (3,3)}, so that [itex]f(A) \cap f(B) = \{1,2,3\} \not\subseteq \{1,2\} = f(A \cap B)[/itex]. Hence [itex]f(A \cap B)[/itex] cannot possibly be equal to [itex]f(A) \cap f(B)[/itex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
no it doesn't work

why not prove it directly?

you have f injective, you need to show f(A) n f(B) = f(A n B). As you pointed out one direction is always true.

so take y in f(A) n f(B), so y is in f(A) and y is in f(B), so there is a in A and b in B s.t. f(a) = y and f(b) = y. Now use injectivity to finish.

The question was not "How do I prove it?"

It was more explicitly...is there any reason to believe that this is a fallacious argument? If so, why is it?

Last edited:
well the reason it's not a valid proof is that your sets A and B are arbitrary sets, this is assumed throughout the entire proof.

you say, assume for the sake of contradiction f(A) n f(B) <= f(A n B). Later, you go on to specify what A and B are, you cannot do this since they are arbitrary.

if that wasn't clear, remember since you are trying to prove that this holds for any sets, at the beginning of your proof you should say, let A and B be two arbitrary sets.

Last edited:
Yes, we did assign values to A and B, but this was only after assuming that [itex]f(A) \cap f(B) \subseteq f(A \cap B)[/itex] was true. So it's says: assume it was true, then here is a counterexample.

So generally when someone makes a statement, if this, then that. We go on to show a counterexample of why it won't work, making the statement false. Well, since [itex]f(A) \cap f(B) \subseteq f(A \cap B)[/itex] is either true or false. We show it's false by counterexample, making the if f is not injective, then f(a) blah blah is not equal to that.

do you see what I'm saying?

Perhaps, if you use [itex]p \Rightarrow q[/itex] stuff to show what you mean.

f(A) = {1 , 2, 3}, f(B) = {1, 2}, so there intersection is {1, 2} (not {1, 2, 3} as you have)

I'm sorry I'm on crack, A = {1, 2, 3}, B = {1, 3, 4} and f = {(1,1), (2,3), (3,1), (4,4)}.

So the counterexample was messed up but that doesn't answer my question.

daveyinaz said:
I'm sorry I'm on crack, A = {1, 2, 3}, B = {1, 3, 4} and f = {(1,1), (2,3), (3,1), (4,4)}.

So the counterexample was messed up but that doesn't answer my question.

that function is not injective and your question is not clear

the function you just typed does show that the statement f(A n B) = f(A) n f(B) for all sets A, B, and any function f isn't necessarily true, and as you already know, it's true if f is injective

Last edited:
Are you serious!??! Did you even read what I wrote?

If f is not injective! Obviously you need to move on to another thread where you can answer more appropriately.

daveyinaz said:
Are you serious!??! Did you even read what I wrote?

If f is not injective! Obviously you need to move on to another thread where you can answer more appropriately.

I get the feeling you are trying to start one of those long posts over something silly like (0/0 = 1?). Best of luck in your efforts.
And don't worry, I'm done here:)

Last edited:
thanks.

For the sake of it. We can answer the above statement assuming A and B are any set,

if [itex]f[/itex] is not injective, then [itex]f(A \cap B) \neq f(A) \cap f(B)[/itex].

Proof: Suppose that [itex]f[/itex] is not injective, then that means that [itex]\exists x_1, x_2[/itex] such that [itex]x_1 \neq x_2[/itex] and [itex]f(x_1) = f(x_2)[/itex]. Let [itex]A = \{x_1\}[/itex] and [itex]B = \{x_2\}[/itex] to show that [itex]f(A) \cap f(B) \not\subseteq f(A \cap B) [/itex].

The thing that gets me is that the last part is still a counterexample, using any element but still a counterexample nonetheless...just like the first thing I posted. So the only thing I might find wrong with this is that instead of using arbitrary elements like x_1 and x_2, we assigned them values. Of course, it's still in the same vein and which is the question I'm asking. How much different are these two "proofs"?

1. What is injectivity in functions?

Injectivity in functions refers to a type of function where every input has a unique output. This means that no two inputs can produce the same output, making it a one-to-one relationship. In other words, the function is "injective" if each element of the range of the function corresponds to exactly one element of the domain.

2. How is injectivity different from surjectivity and bijectivity?

Injectivity, surjectivity, and bijectivity are all properties of functions. While injectivity refers to the uniqueness of outputs for each input, surjectivity refers to the function having a full range, meaning every element in the range has at least one corresponding input. Bijectivity is a combination of both injectivity and surjectivity, where each input has a unique output and the function has a full range.

3. How can I determine if a function is injective?

To determine if a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. This involves drawing horizontal lines across the graph of the function. If the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not injective. Another method is to use algebra and check if the function satisfies the definition of injectivity (each input produces a unique output).

4. What is the importance of injectivity in mathematics?

Injectivity is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the relationship between inputs and outputs in a function. It allows us to determine if a function has a unique inverse, which is useful in solving equations and finding solutions. Injectivity is also a key concept in the study of functions and their properties.

5. Can a function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. This type of function is called a bijective function and it has the property of being one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective). Bijective functions are useful in many areas of mathematics, including cryptography and data encryption.