Exploring Rubber Ink Filling: Which Method is Best

In summary: So the pressure in the liquid is the same as the pressure outside the liquid. In summary, a rubber ink filler works by pressing air and ink out of the reservoir and then sucking the fluid back in. It is better to press the rubber first before dipping and sucking.
sr_philosophy
Basic question - How does an rubber ink filler work?
(I don't want answers like - there is a vacuum created thus ink fills space and thus... Thats not Physics)

Extending discussion : Is it better to press the rubber then dip and then suck and remove. OR
To dip then press and suck and remove?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the hey is a rubber ink filler? :confused:
Is it something like a syringe or turkey baster or likewise that vacuums up a liquid from one location to deposit it in another?
If so, it's better from a practical standpoint to press first. When you press with the tip under the surface, you risk blasting some of the fluid out of the container with air pressure.

sr_philosophy said:
(I don't want answers like - there is a vacuum created thus ink fills space and thus... Thats not Physics)

Of course it's physics... what else would it be? If you don't want answers involving vacuums, pressures and so forth then I have no idea how it could be answered.

Danger said:
What the hey is a rubber ink filler? :confused:
Is it something like a syringe or turkey baster or likewise that vacuums up a liquid from one location to deposit it in another?
If so, it's better from a practical standpoint to press first. When you press with the tip under the surface, you risk blasting some of the fluid out of the container with air pressure.

Danger, this might be in reference to "after-the-market" printer ink refill-kits. Not sure. But in any event your comment that the syringe should be expelled of all air prior to insertion and suctioning is, of course, very correct.

pallidin said:
Of course it's physics... what else would it be? If you don't want answers involving vacuums, pressures and so forth then I have no idea how it could be answered.

ofcourse! i meant let's have a detailed explanation of the physics behind it.

You said "(I don't want answers like - there is a vacuum created thus ink fills space and thus... Thats not Physics)" . What part of that is NOT physics?

I would have answered that pressing the "trigger" on the fountain pen presses air and ink out of the rubber reservoir. Once you release it, the air pressure on the top of the ink bottle pushes ink back into the reservoir.

But that's exactly what you have pronounced to be "not Physics"!

I never even thought of a fountain pen; haven't seen one in decades. I didn't know that they still made them. When we started using ink pens instead of pencils in school, they had been replaced by the cartridge type. That was in '65 or so.

Do you think that's a real satisfactory explanation?!? Why not try a quantitative analysis? Let the ink filler be of length 'L' and let us dip it such that the rubber just stays out of the ink. So the tip of the filler is at a depth 'L'. Let us now assume that we have dipped it normally, i.e., we have not pressed the rubber. The current situation is similar to holding a tube inside the liquid with one end closed. I am not sure about that! I don't know if you can consider it closed as there is a column of air over it. I think you can!

Sorry, man, but it seems to me that you're trying to explain bowling by quantum principles.
It's simple. When the bulb is compressed, it has zero internal volume and therefore zero interior pressure. You immerse it in the liquid and release the bulb. That let's the air pressure impinging upon the fluid to force it into the expanding volume of the bulb to equalize the pressure. (In an ideal situation, of course; in reality you won't get zero volume.)

1. What is rubber ink filling and why is it important in scientific research?

Rubber ink filling is a method used to fill microscopic channels or structures with ink for visualization and analysis. It is important in scientific research because it allows for the examination of materials and structures that are too small to be seen with the naked eye, providing valuable information for various fields such as materials science, biology, and nanotechnology.

2. What are the different methods for rubber ink filling and how do they differ?

The three main methods for rubber ink filling are capillary action, vacuum filling, and pressure filling. Capillary action involves using the surface tension of the ink to fill the channels via capillary action, while vacuum filling uses a vacuum to draw the ink into the channels. Pressure filling, on the other hand, applies pressure to push the ink into the channels. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the best method to use depends on the specific application and sample.

3. How do you determine which method of rubber ink filling is best for a particular sample?

The best method for rubber ink filling depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the channels, the properties of the material being filled, and the desired outcome of the experiment. It is important to consider all these factors and conduct feasibility studies to determine the most suitable method for a specific sample.

4. What are some common challenges faced when using rubber ink filling methods?

Some common challenges include air bubbles getting trapped in the channels, inconsistent filling, and difficulty in controlling the flow of ink. These challenges can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results and may require troubleshooting and optimization of the filling process.

5. How is rubber ink filling used in real-world applications?

Rubber ink filling has a wide range of applications in various fields such as microfluidics, electronic devices, and biomedical research. It is used to create microfluidic channels for drug delivery systems, inkjet printing of electronic circuits, and visualization of biological structures for research purposes. It is also used in quality control processes for various industries to ensure the integrity and functionality of their products.