Inline PhysOrg.Com Links

1. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,056
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is the recent appearance of PhysOrg.com links in mid-thread a bug or a feature?

2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

We are proud to have entered in a content sharing partnership with PhysOrg.Com

They will be delivering relevant news stories to PF. There are 14 forums that will receive unique stories and the rest draw from a general science pool. IE biology gets biology stories. In return we are sending PhysOrg.Com links to some of our discussions. We are confident this is a win-win. :smile:

4. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's now working properly in Opera. It was showing just the logo with no links and occasionally stretching the box for the logo all the way down the page.

5. I think this is a big mistake. It is quite annoying to see a post under an initial thread in the Physics sections about family planning... It is intrusive that it appears as a post in a thread with absolutely no relevant information. I hope it does not stay in its current implementation.

6. Greg Bernhardt

Thank you for your opinion. We will continue to tweak things in order to optimize usefulness.

update: all physics forums now show physics news stories

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. symbolipoint

symbolipoint 3,258
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The placement of those posts is not suitable in several of the boards. A better placement may be at the top of some of the boards or forum sections.

8. Greg Bernhardt

Can you further explain what you mean by "not suitable"?

9. dx

dx 2,010
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I too feel it is a strange place to put it.

10. Greg Bernhardt

Gold members forget there are ads at the top of the forums :wink:

11. negitron

negitron 842
    Science Advisor

It took me less than half a day to get used to it; it's very easy to distinguish the links from a normal post once you get used to them. In any case, I don't know what Greg feels like doing, but it would be trivially easy to change the border or background color or something if people are that easily confused about it.

12. Redbelly98

Redbelly98 12,043
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it helps Greg pay the bills, I'm for it. I too found it pretty easy to get used to, and it's always in the same place (after 1st post of a thread).

13. I agree. Also, in a week's time, it'll be as if it's always been there.

14. Borg

Borg 1,269
    Gold Member

I was confused the first couple of times because it looked like people had signatures with advertisements.

15. Greg Bernhardt

They aren't ads :smile: News stories from a partner site.

I will look into ways of distinguishing them better. But at the same time I don't want it distracting.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  16. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

It weirded me out the first couple of times, since I thought that some unnamed used had sneaked in spam. Now I'm used to it, and I think that it's a great idea.
    Scientific American, now this. What the hell's next; are we going into partnership with NASA?

17. I support PF and Greg in all their decisions :!!)
    Let's try it before deciding whether it was a good decision.

18. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I have to say that I'm starting to like it. Some of the articles in the links are darned interesting. The one about Smart Power Grid security was an eye-opener!

19. Greg Bernhardt

I should also mention the feeds are updated every hour.

20. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,136
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

[​IMG]
    This is how their logo looks in my firefox. Should it be cut like this?

21. Greg Bernhardt

yes, it's from the website

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?