Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner Light - Star Trek TNG

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

One of my all time favorite episodes of TNG will be on the sci-fi channel tonight at 7PM CST. Picard is knocked unconscious by a probe and lives another man's life on a long dead planet. This is the show where he learns to play the recorder.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2
    Yeah, I like that one too, with his little flute. That one's a classic.

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Patrick Stewart kicks bottom. Very sentimental episode but interesting to see Picard struggle against and then accept another life style.

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But why does the character have to be French?
    Since Steward is from near Leeds why couldn't he play it as a Yorkshireman?

"Them chuffing borg ar going to get a reight kicking"
    "Mek is so Mr Warf - sithee"

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5
    I miss the days of good TV. I would wait all week for the new episode of STNG to air. Now I might log 5 hours a week total TV time. I just can't get into any of the new reality stuff, save for of course Hell's Kitchen. I hope someday we'll have some great sci-fi again.

7. Jul 28, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Amen! I have Babylon 5 in its entirety, including all the "movies", on DVD. That show rocked! Best of all, the characters all evolved over time, and all had strengths and weaknesses that exhibited themselves with changing conditions. Many times, ST was little better than "Gunsmoke" with space-ships. Bab5 really out-stripped them.

8. Jul 28, 2008 #7
    What about "Eureka" on the SciFi channel? There's no outer space element, but it certainly tries to have a hard science fiction element to its plots, and it has great characters and humor, and a long-term plot arc that's not too overbearing (akin to how B5 included its arc). The DVDs are also encased in 100% recycled/biodegradeable materials. The third season of Eureka begins tomorrow.

9. Jul 28, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup, definitely one of the best TNG episodes ever.

I hope he remembers to bring his shoes in tonight.

10. Jul 28, 2008 #9
    LOL, I am rewatching the entire series now. I'm on episode 6 of season 4! I love B5 too!

11. Jul 28, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a shame that Firefly did not even last 1 full season. :frown:

12. Jul 28, 2008 #11
    Holy crap, TNG is on Sci-Fi? What am I doing on PF!?!?!?

13. Jul 28, 2008 #12

Evo

OMG!!!! :cry: :cry: I love so many TNG shows, but that one makes me cry like a baby. <blows nose> :cry: I don't think I will ever get tired of that episode. <blows nose> :cry:

That was SO GOOD!!!!!

Ok, I am going to stop crying. <blows nose>

14. Jul 28, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love that one :!!) !!!! Can't wait...it's on in about 2 hours...

15. Jul 28, 2008 #14

Evo

Don't miss it!!!! It's even better than you remember! <blows nose>

16. Jul 28, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Second that, i can not understand though how people can re watch some thing, i mean you know what is going to happen.

17. Jul 29, 2008 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With a good show, you catch things the 2nd or 3rd time around that you missed on the first viewing.

Then there's the "Rocky Horror" phenomenon as well.

18. Jul 29, 2008 #17
    that was a good one--and that's kind of how I see it, too-

-the struggle, the letting go of inescapable fate, and the acceptance of a future unfulfilled (the planet)----from a trapped but only partially involved situation (the Pickard)

19. Jul 29, 2008 #18

Astronuc

20. Jul 29, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The next episode is excellent as well. I like the guy that plays Samuel Clemens. Great performance.

21. Jul 29, 2008 #20
    wolram: After a couple of years the memory faded, it's most of the time fun to watch something that you watched as a kid etc.

I really like that episode too, but the episode I liked the most is certainly "The measure of a man" because it's so timeless and speaks to everyone about our basic civil rights, and how they must be protected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?