How Do I Show the Fourth Property for Inner Product in This Homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for showing the validity of certain properties for a given set of values, specifically a, b, and c. The speaker is struggling to find a way to show the fourth property and asks for assistance in following the previously established procedures. Additionally, they discuss a matrix and its determinant and how its properties can provide information about the values of a, b, and c.
Onezimo Cardoso

Homework Statement

upload_2017-7-28_18-15-22.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-7-28_18-15-30.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I could show that the first of the three properties are valid for any value of a,b,c but I couldn’t find a way to show the forth one.

Follow all the procedures I already did:

upload_2017-7-28_18-18-29.png

upload_2017-7-28_18-18-46.png

upload_2017-7-28_18-19-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-28_18-16-3.png
    upload_2017-7-28_18-16-3.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 392
  • upload_2017-7-28_18-18-9.png
    upload_2017-7-28_18-18-9.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 410
  • upload_2017-7-28_18-19-1.png
    upload_2017-7-28_18-19-1.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Onezimo Cardoso said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 207920

Homework Equations

View attachment 207921

[/B]
I could show that the first of the three properties are valid for any value of a,b,c but I couldn’t find a way to show the forth one.

Hint: if ##{\bf x} = (x_1,0)##, it is easy to show that ##\langle {\bf x,x} \rangle > 0## for any ##x_1 \neq 0##. Also: for ##x_2 \neq 0## we have ##(x_1,x_2) = x_2(x_1/x_2,1)##, so ##\langle {\bf x,x} \rangle = x_2^2 \langle {\bf u,u} \rangle##, where ##{\bf u} = (x_1/x_2,1) \equiv (t,1)##.

Likes Onezimo Cardoso
are you allowed to use spectral theory here?

Your matrix

##
\begin{bmatrix}
a & b\\
b & c
\end{bmatrix}##

is real symmetric. If the determinant is positive (one of your conditions in the iff) and the trace is positive (implied by ##a \gt 0##... why?) then it this tells you...

upload_2017-7-31_21-22-7.png

upload_2017-7-31_21-22-39.png

upload_2017-7-31_21-23-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-31_21-20-12.png
    upload_2017-7-31_21-20-12.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 449
Onezimo Cardoso said:

[/B]

Follow all the procedures I already did:
If you factorize Δ you get Δ=4x22(b2-4ac)

Onezimo Cardoso said:

Why do you suppose I wrote ##\langle {\bf x,x} \rangle = x_2^2 \langle {\bf u,u} \rangle##, where ##{\bf u} = (t,1)?## The fact that ##t = x_1/x_2## does not really matter at all if all you want to know is the sign of ##\langle {\bf u,u} \rangle##---think about it!

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes in two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is usually denoted by <u,v> and represents the "dot product" of the two vectors u and v. It is used to measure the angle between two vectors and can also be used to define the length and direction of a vector.

2. How is an inner product different from a cross product?

An inner product and a cross product are both mathematical operations that take in two vectors and return a scalar value. However, an inner product returns a scalar value while a cross product returns a vector. The inner product measures the angle between two vectors while the cross product measures the perpendicularity between two vectors.

3. What is the significance of the inner product?

The inner product has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to define vector spaces, measure the similarity between two vectors, and calculate the projections of one vector onto another. It is also used in the study of geometric objects such as lines, planes, and circles.

4. How is the inner product related to the concept of orthogonality?

The inner product is closely related to the concept of orthogonality. Two vectors are considered orthogonal if their inner product is equal to 0, meaning they are perpendicular to each other. This relationship is used in many mathematical and engineering applications, such as calculating the distance between two objects or finding the best fit line for a set of data points.

5. Can the inner product be extended to more than two vectors?

Yes, the inner product can be extended to more than two vectors. In fact, the inner product can be defined for any number of vectors in a vector space. The inner product of multiple vectors is calculated by taking the dot product of each vector pair and adding them together. This operation is known as the "generalized dot product."