Exploring Inner Product Spaces: Answers to Your Questions

In summary: In a sense, it is a way to measure the size of the population. However, it is not always possible to obtain a perfect count, because there is always some chance that some items are missed. In this section, you will learn about two methods for obtaining a count of items in a population: the simple random sampling method and the stratified random sampling method.In simple random sampling, each item in the population is equally likely to be selected for sampling. This method is usually used when it is not important to get a precise count of the number of items in the population.In stratified random sampling, the sampling is
samkolb
I have some questions about inner product sapces.

1. If V is a vector space over R and ( , ):VxV-->R is an inner product on V, then for v,w in V, is the value of (v,w) independent of my choice of basis for V used to compute (v,w)?

2. If V is an arbitrary n dimensional vector space over R, are there some standard ways to define an inner product on V?

3. If V is an arbitrary n dimensional vector space over R, and v and w are linearly independent vectors in V, is it always possible to define an inner product on V such that (v,w) is not zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
samkolb said:
3. If V is an arbitrary n dimensional vector space over R, and v and w are linearly independent vectors in V, is it always possible to define an inner product on V such that (v,w) is not zero?
I believe so.

Case 1: v and w are not orthogonal ... done.

Case 2: v and w are orthogonal according to "the naive" inner product. You can either skew the space or shuffle the dual space.

Example 1, skewing the space
[tex]
v\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\end{array}\right)
\qquad
w\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]
inner product:
[tex]
(,)\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\0&1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]
i.e.
[tex]
(v,w)
\rightarrow
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\0&1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\1\end{array}\right)
\textrm{ or }
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
=
[/tex]
This sort of inner product actually occurs in, for example, crystalography.

Example 2, shuffling the dual space:
[tex]
v\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\end{array}\right)
\qquad
w\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]
inner product:
[tex]
(,)\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\-1&0\end{array}\right)
[/tex]
i.e.
[tex]
(v,w)
\rightarrow
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\-1&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\end{array}\right)
\textrm{ or }
\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
=
[/tex]
This sort of inner product actually occurs in, for example, the Majoranna Lagrangian. Actually, I'm not sure if this satisfies your definition of an inner product, because (v,v) and (w,w) vanish in this case.

Last edited:
Turin.

I know it's been a while since you replied to my post, but I have a question about it. I think the first two by two matrix you used is a matrix representation of a particular bilinear form, but I don't think it satisfies the conditions for an inner product since it is not symmetric.

OK, yes, the official definition of inner product requires

[tex]
\langle{}v,w\rangle=\langle{}w,v\rangle^*
[/tex]

So, based on this requirement, neither one of the two suggestions that I gave is valid. However, if you restrict the field to R, then I believe that you can get away with

[tex]
\langle{}v,w\rangle
\equiv
\left(\begin{array}{cc}v_1&v_2\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&a\\a&1\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}w_1\\w_2\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

if

[tex]
-1<a<1
[/tex]

This is obviously symmetric, and the condition on a guaruntees that no vector with nonzero real-valued components can have a vanishing inner product. Then

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&a\\a&1\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)
=
a
[/tex]

That works! It took me some time to see why the condition -1<a<1 guarantees that the inner product of a vector with itself vanishes if and only if the vector is the zero vector, but I get it now. Thanks alot.

Sam

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar value as output. It is often used to measure the angle between two vectors or to calculate the length of a vector.

2. How is an inner product different from a dot product?

An inner product is a generalization of the dot product, which is a specific type of inner product. The dot product only applies to vectors in Euclidean space, while an inner product can be defined for vectors in any vector space.

3. What are the properties of an inner product?

An inner product must satisfy four properties: linearity in the first argument, symmetry, positive definiteness, and homogeneity in the second argument. These properties ensure that the inner product is a well-defined mathematical operation.

4. How is an inner product used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, an inner product is used to define the notion of orthogonality between vectors. It is also used to define the length of a vector, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra. Inner products also play a crucial role in various applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of linear equations and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Can an inner product be negative?

Yes, an inner product can be negative. The sign of an inner product depends on the angle between the two vectors. If the angle is acute, the inner product will be positive. If the angle is obtuse, the inner product will be negative. If the angle is a right angle, the inner product will be zero.