1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner product space vectors

1. Jul 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex]\vec{u}[/itex], [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] are vectors in an inner product space such that:

inner product: [itex]\vec{u},\vec{v}= 2[/itex]
    inner product: [itex]\vec{v},\vec{w}= -6[/itex]
    inner product: [itex]\vec{u},\vec{w}= -3[/itex]

norm[itex](\vec{u}) = 1[/itex]
    norm[itex](\vec{v}) = 2[/itex]
    norm[itex](\vec{w}) = 7[/itex]

Compute:

innerproduct: ([itex]\vec{2v-w},\vec{3u+2w}[/itex])

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\vec{u}[/itex], [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{w}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]Rn .The inner product type is not specified (ie. euclidean, weighted ect...)

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not sure where to start. This seems like a very simple problem, but im confused on where to start. I cant expand inner products and solve for v,u or w since the inner product formula is not known. I also cant expand inner product([itex]\vec{2v-w},\vec{3u+2w}[/itex]) since I dont know the inner product formula. All I can think of doing right now is expanding norm[itex](\vec{u},\vec{v},\vec{w})[/itex] to equal [itex]\sqrt{innerproduct(\vec{u},\vec{u}})[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{innerproduct(\vec{v},\vec{v}})[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{innerproduct(\vec{w},\vec{w}})[/itex] but that gets me no where as well.
    Can someone give a point in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should look up what properties a function has to satisfy to be considered an inner product.

4. Jul 29, 2014 #3
    ahh yes, the algebraic properties of inner product spaces. Of course!
    Thanks

edit* its -101

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted