1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner product

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What s the inner product [tex]<2011|0011>[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to exactly solve this question. The first thing that came to my mind was the Clebsch-Gordan equation, since that's what it looks like, but then I saw that it doesnt really make any sense because of this:

I'm guessing the inner product is zero, but i'm not sure how to show this.

maybe because since m=0, m_1=1 and m_2=1 wouldnt make sense? not too sure, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure that your labels are ordered correctly?

Yes, it's a CG question, but here the result is trivially zero. In pricniple, you would have to look up a table and write the state [itex] | l_{total} =0, m_{l,total} =0, l_1 =1, l_2=1> [/itex] in terms of the [itex] |l_1,l_2,m_{l,1} m_{l,2}>[/itex] states.

But if your labels are ordered correctly and l_total = 0 and l_1 = 2 and l_2=0 then the result is trivially zero since adding 2 and 0 only gives a total l equal to 2 (and the m quantum numbers don't match either. if m_1=1 and m_2 =1, then m_total must be 2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?