1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner Product

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if u and v are given non-zero vectors in the arbitrary inner-product space V, and are such that <u,v>=0, then {u,v} is a linearly independent subset of V.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to start. It's hard to prove because the inner-product could be defined in various ways. I can't just pick one and go with it, since another equally valid definition may not work.

I am still working on this and I will post my attempt as soon as I have one, but until then I was hoping to get some ideas for a starting point.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hi Daniel - I would try starting with the definition of linear independence

u, v are linearly independent if the only solution to the equation
    c1.u + c2.v = 0, for scalars c1, c2, is c1=c2=0

then you could try writing an arbitrary vector as a linear combination of u&v, and look at the inner product with u or v

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the input! It was very helpful. Here's what I have so far. I'm not sure where the inner-product comes into play, though:

Let [tex]\pmb{u}=\left(u_1,u_2,u_3\right)[/tex] and let [tex]\pmb{v}=\left(v_1,v_2,v_3\right)[/tex].
    If {u, v} is a linearly independent subset of V, then the only solution to [tex]c_1\pmb{u}+c_2\pmb{v}=0[/tex] is when [tex]c_1=c_2=0[/tex].

Thus, [tex]c_1\pmb{u}+c_2\pmb{v}=c_1\left(u_1,u_2,u_3\right)+c_2\left(v_1,v_2,v_3\right)=0[/tex].

Since [tex]c_1[/tex] and [tex]c_2[/tex] are coefficients for separate terms, and since it is given that u and v are non-zero vectors, the only way the above equation could be true is if [tex]c_1=c_2=0[/tex]
    QED

Okay, this doesn't seem like much of a proof. Any ideas?

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not much of a proof. You don't need to split u and v into components. If c1*u+c2*v=0, what conclusions can you draw from <u,c1*u+c2*v>=0 and <v,c1*u+c2*v>=0, remembering <u,v>=0? That's what lanedance was suggesting. Use some properties of the inner product.

6. Jul 17, 2009 #5
    Okay, this proof is actually easier than I thought. Tell me what you think. (I am using a and b for the constants to make it easier to type).

If {u, v} is a linearly independent subset of V, then the only solution to au+bv=0 is when a=b=0. We seek to prove that this is in fact the case.

Let u, v, and w be non-zero vectors.
    The properties of inner products require that <au+bv,w>=a<u,w>+b<v,w>=0.
    Since a and b are coefficients for separate terms, we know that a=b=0.

7. Jul 17, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gack! No, that doesn't tell me anything since w could be anything. Put w=u. Try 0=<au+bv,u>=a<u,u>+b<v,u>. <v,u>=0. So 0=a<u,u>. What do the properties of the inner product tell you about <u,u> if u is nonzero?

8. Jul 17, 2009 #7
    Let's try it again, then:

If {u, v} is a linearly independent subset of V, then the only solution to au+bv=0 is when a=b=0. We seek to prove that this is in fact the case.

The properties of inner products require that <au+bv,u>=a<u,u>+b<v,u>=0.
    The properties of inner products also require that <u,v>=<v,u>, so <v,u>=0.
    We are left with a<u,u>=0.
    However, the properties of inner products also require that <u,u> be greater than zero for a nonzero vector u.
    Thus, we know that <u,u> is greater than zero, which means a=0.

Now we repeat this process, replacing u with v in the first argument:

The properties of inner products require that <au+bv,v>=a<u,v>+b<v,v>=0.
    Since <u,v>=0, we are left with b<v,v>=0.
    However, the properties of inner products also require that <v,v> be greater than zero for a nonzero vector v.
    Thus, we know that <v,v> is greater than zero, which means b=0.

Thus, both a and b must be equal to zero.

QED

9. Jul 17, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, yes, yes, yes. That's it. Exactly.

10. Jul 17, 2009 #9
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook