1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner products and Circles

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    Mostly I'd like to look at the third part of the problem. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to derive the equation:

So, finding the length of a given vector given this inner product:
    [itex]<(x,y),(x,y)> = 5x^2 + y^2[/itex].

Taking the length, we have

[itex]|(x,y)| = \sqrt{5x^2 + y^2}[/itex], which we define as equaling 1. Squaring both sides we find,

[itex]5x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex]. I think this is the equation of the circle, but I'm not sure. If it is, then my picture has y-intercepts at 1,-1 and x-intercepts at -sqrt(1/5),sqrt(1/5).

Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

Science Advisor

I think you're missing some terms from the length:

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    Whoops. You're right. My real equation is [itex]5x^2 -2(xy+xy) +y^2 =1[/itex]. This changes shape of the circle (it's more elongated in quadrants I and III now), but the intercepts remain the same I think. No?
  5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

Science Advisor

I think if you do a rotation of the plain, you may be able to get rid of the mixed xy-terms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?