Innocent people on death row

1. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

"innocent people on death row"

I constantly hear that the greatest argument against capital punishment is "there are people on death row right now who are innocent". Now what is the proof/de-bunking proof to this statement and idea?

2. jcsd
  3. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

There is no proof. people sau that in certain cases there wasn't enough evidence. so when they go on death row they think they're innocent

I don't even agree that we should have a death row

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Hey that was a quick response for this forum lol.

5. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

I used the quick response box below :tongue:

6. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

lol still, usually takes an hour or 30 minutes or so to get some responses D:

7. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

really? I always get responses within five minutes. cough-they-cough-li-achm!-ke-me-cough!-better

8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, many death sentences that predate DNA technology have been overturned where DNA evidence was later still available for testing. IIRC, one noted study estimated that approximately 1:6 convicts on death row are innocent. It was because of this new information that one of the last acts of the outgoing Governor of Illinois was to revoke all standing death sentences in the state.

9. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

1 in 6 current inmates or historic though. The claim is that people currently on death row are innocent.

10. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I edited late. ...people on death row now [or a few years ago anyway].

11. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that in many older cases, and even many new ones, no DNA evidence is available.

12. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Well if theres evidence these people are truely innocent, this begs the question as to why there still in prison. I wouldn't think theres many judges out there who see truely conclusive evidence and just throw it aside.

13. Perhaps they have the same attitude as Britain's former top judge Lord Demming who stated that it was better for innocent people to remain in prison than to bring the judicial system into question

14. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Poor people can't get the expensive lawyers that rich people use to get off. Criminal trials are decided by juries, unless the defendent waives that, and juries are swayed by clever lawyers, including politially ambitious public prosecutors. When the DNA evidence started freeing prisoners in Illinois, a smelly political mess was uncovered. Innocent defendents were railroaded to get an unbroken string of convictions for various prosecuters to further their political careers.

15. Prosecutors exploiting, or DPIC exploiting, or both

Convicted by way of an expedient legal strategy, and later released on technical reexamination of that strategy, does not imply one is innocent of a crime. It merely means that that once-expedient legal strategy is no longer sustainable in court. If DNA fingerprinting had been foreseen, perhaps different prosecution strategies would have been pursued and some or all of those convicts would not have been released.

Social-justice corporations have impetus to further their careers, as well.

16. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

That still doesnt get to the point. If the evidence is there, no matter how expensive or cheap the lawyer is, the evidence still should get to the judge.

17. Yes, and there shouldn't be any crime so there should be no need for police, courts or prisons. But this is the real world where because something should be doesn't make it so.

18. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Well what your basically saying is that since 1 part of the system might be corrupt/inefficient/badly structured, any decision that passes through that system must be null and void? Might as well get rid of all police departments then.

19. Nope, that is not what I am basically saying - Your extrapolation bears no resemblance to my comment! It's a bit like me saying somebody died in a car crash today which you interpret as a call from me to ban all motorised transport lol

To clarify I was merely pointing out that there was a certain naievete about your post.

20. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Naive or not (former), its still ... odd... that once your on death row, you are guaranteed an appeal and if the evidence is so clear as day as these statistics imply.... i mean its like looking into the mirror and not seeing yourself....

I think i should have thrown in "appeals are guranteed" to make it seem less naive and more "hey, what the craps going on here".

21. pitts and lee are two the most famous FLA people convicted and sentenced to death
    they were convicted because they were blacks and seen as a threat to the locals
    for their civil rights activitys
    some years after their conviction an other man confesed to the crime
    and they were set free leading to a long battle to get compinsation for thier years on death row

some reasons for appeal are tecnical
    their was they DIDNOT DO IT, WERE NOT THERE, and HAVE NOT ONE THING TO DO WITH THE CRIME, but were convicted anyway

others have been convicted based on dreams, hypnotized wittnesses, and other BS so called evidence
    most common gimic is to get an other con to swear the person confested in jail to the crime, most times the other con gets off free for thier crimes in return for their BS statements
    thats not counting the biased state att trying to run up scores ect

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?