News Innocent people on death row

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date

Pengwuino

Gold Member
"innocent people on death row"

I constantly hear that the greatest argument against capital punishment is "there are people on death row right now who are innocent". Now what is the proof/de-bunking proof to this statement and idea?

JamesU

Gold Member
There is no proof. people sau that in certain cases there wasn't enough evidence. so when they go on death row they think they're innocent

I don't even agree that we should have a death row

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Hey that was a quick response for this forum lol.

JamesU

Gold Member
I used the quick response box below :tongue:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
lol still, usually takes an hour or 30 minutes or so to get some responses D:

JamesU

Gold Member
really? I always get responses within five minutes. cough-they-cough-li-achm!-ke-me-cough!-better

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually, many death sentences that predate DNA technology have been overturned where DNA evidence was later still available for testing. IIRC, one noted study estimated that approximately 1:6 convicts on death row are innocent. It was because of this new information that one of the last acts of the outgoing Governor of Illinois was to revoke all standing death sentences in the state.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
1 in 6 current inmates or historic though. The claim is that people currently on death row are innocent.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I edited late. ...people on death row now [or a few years ago anyway].

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Keep in mind that in many older cases, and even many new ones, no DNA evidence is available.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Well if theres evidence these people are truely innocent, this begs the question as to why there still in prison. I wouldn't think theres many judges out there who see truely conclusive evidence and just throw it aside.

Art

Perhaps they have the same attitude as Britain's former top judge Lord Demming who stated that it was better for innocent people to remain in prison than to bring the judicial system into question

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Pengwuino said:
Well if theres evidence these people are truely innocent, this begs the question as to why there still in prison. I wouldn't think theres many judges out there who see truely conclusive evidence and just throw it aside.

Poor people can't get the expensive lawyers that rich people use to get off. Criminal trials are decided by juries, unless the defendent waives that, and juries are swayed by clever lawyers, including politially ambitious public prosecutors. When the DNA evidence started freeing prisoners in Illinois, a smelly political mess was uncovered. Innocent defendents were railroaded to get an unbroken string of convictions for various prosecuters to further their political careers.

Prosecutors exploiting, or DPIC exploiting, or both

selfAdjoint said:
Innocent defendents were railroaded to get an unbroken string of convictions for various prosecuters to further their political careers.
Convicted by way of an expedient legal strategy, and later released on technical reexamination of that strategy, does not imply one is innocent of a crime. It merely means that that once-expedient legal strategy is no longer sustainable in court. If DNA fingerprinting had been foreseen, perhaps different prosecution strategies would have been pursued and some or all of those convicts would not have been released.

to further their political careers
Social-justice corporations have impetus to further their careers, as well.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
selfAdjoint said:
Poor people can't get the expensive lawyers that rich people use to get off. Criminal trials are decided by juries, unless the defendent waives that, and juries are swayed by clever lawyers, including politially ambitious public prosecutors.
That still doesnt get to the point. If the evidence is there, no matter how expensive or cheap the lawyer is, the evidence still should get to the judge.

Art

Pengwuino said:
That still doesnt get to the point. If the evidence is there, no matter how expensive or cheap the lawyer is, the evidence still should get to the judge.
Yes, and there shouldn't be any crime so there should be no need for police, courts or prisons. But this is the real world where because something should be doesn't make it so.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Art said:
Yes, and there shouldn't be any crime so there should be no need for police, courts or prisons. But this is the real world where because something should be doesn't make it so.
Well what your basically saying is that since 1 part of the system might be corrupt/inefficient/badly structured, any decision that passes through that system must be null and void? Might as well get rid of all police departments then.

Art

Pengwuino said:
Well what your basically saying is that since 1 part of the system might be corrupt/inefficient/badly structured, any decision that passes through that system must be null and void? Might as well get rid of all police departments then.
Nope, that is not what I am basically saying - Your extrapolation bears no resemblance to my comment! It's a bit like me saying somebody died in a car crash today which you interpret as a call from me to ban all motorised transport lol

To clarify I was merely pointing out that there was a certain naievete about your post.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Naive or not (former), its still ... odd... that once your on death row, you are guaranteed an appeal and if the evidence is so clear as day as these statistics imply.... i mean its like looking into the mirror and not seeing yourself....

I think i should have thrown in "appeals are guranteed" to make it seem less naive and more "hey, what the craps going on here".

pitts and lee are two the most famous FLA people convicted and sentenced to death
they were convicted because they were blacks and seen as a threat to the locals
for their civil rights activitys
some years after their conviction an other man confesed to the crime
and they were set free leading to a long battle to get compinsation for thier years on death row

some reasons for appeal are tecnical
their was they DIDNOT DO IT, WERE NOT THERE, and HAVE NOT ONE THING TO DO WITH THE CRIME, but were convicted anyway

others have been convicted based on dreams, hypnotized wittnesses, and other BS so called evidence
most common gimic is to get an other con to swear the person confested in jail to the crime, most times the other con gets off free for thier crimes in return for their BS statements
thats not counting the biased state att trying to run up scores ect

Art

Penqwuino, I don't know if you are simply trying to peddle right wing views or are genuinely interested in miscarriages of justice but to give you the benefit of the doubt here's some authoritive information for you. The following is an excerpt from Amnesty Int'l's web site.

"In 1996, 16-year-old Shareef Cousin became the youngest person on death row in the USA. The prosecution had hinged on the testimony of an eyewitness who told the jury she was “absolutely positive” that she had seen Cousin commit murder. After Cousin was convicted and sentenced to death, his lawyer saw a copy of the witness’s original police statement in which she said she couldn’t even describe the killer because “it was dark and I didn’t have my contact [lenses].”

In the same Lousiana district where Cousin was charged and convicted, a review of more than 400 homicide cases reveals troubling disparities in application of the death penalty related to race. Between 1990 and 1995, the Orleans Parish District Attorney sought the death penalty in 32 out of 44 cases in which black defendants were charged with the murder of a white person. By comparison, the death penalty was requested in fewer than one-third of cases of blacks accused of murdering blacks and just more than one-fifth of cases involving white defendants and victims. In this period, only blacks were actually sentenced to death."

http://www.amnesty.ca/usa/racism.php [Broken]

Here's the source link if you want to read more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Well now your trying to peddle, what i suppose is, "left wing" views on race relations when it comes to teh death penalty. A dead black person who was innocent is the same as a dead white person who was innocent, and i dont think i attempted to say different. I dont even think i brought in race into this discussion. All that really matters is that if any person has been given the death penalty and there is such glaring facts to his/her innocence, it seems odd that they owuldnt be brought to light in the guaranteed appeal people on death row are granted. I dont know where race comes into this...

From what I have heard most of the possibly innocent convicts on death row were convicted quite some time ago and were mainly black convicts that it is assumed racial prejudice played a role in their conviction. I'm sure that in some areas they still have teh same problem but I think here in CA it isn't likely that it happens much anymore.
From what I have seen of the way lawyers run their cases any more I don't really have much faith in the system. It's not a terrible system I don't think but I still don't like what I see. A few years ago I was hit by a truck while crossing the crosswalk. It amazed me the lengthes they went to in attempting to discredit me. And this guy hit me with his freakin truck! No shame.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
And Art, if you are actually willing to bring up race, can you do me a favor and find out the demographics of the people who are actually executed?

Ive seen many sources of information showing a disproportional amount of white people actually are executed. Ive also never seen a article against death penalty point out any contradictory information.

Here are a few statistics.

At midyear 2004 there were 4,919 black male prison and jail inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,717 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 717 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm [Broken]

Number of prisoners on
death row
Year White Black Other

2003 1,878 1,418 78
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/drracetab.htm [Broken]

Since 1968
Defendant Race # executed % of total executed
Black 278 35%
Hispanic 53 7%
White 455 57%
Other (Asian, Iraqi) 19 2%
http://www.georgetown.edu/users/aaa38/deathrowinmates.htm [Broken]

African Americans make up the largest racial minority group in the United States, numbering 34.7 million individuals, or 12.3 percent of the U.S. population in 2000.
http://www.prcdc.org/summaries/blacks/blacks.html [Broken]

Another interesting fact:

More than 5.6 million Americans are in prison or have served time there, according to a new report by the Justice Department released Sunday. That's 1 in 37 adults living in the United States, the highest incarceration level in the world.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0818/p02s01-usju.html

Last edited by a moderator: