Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Innocentive Challenge

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very nice...however definitely not at my level (still have yet to take physical, analytical, even the org. labs-taking org lab I right now, although I've completed both org I and II lecture courses). Perhaps movies or chemtr might be up to the challenge. Some of the challenges are interesting nevertheless.

Such as the challenge number 2242048, A one or two step reaction for direct oxidation of benzene to phenol is needed.

From what I know, benzene itself is susceptible to electrophiic substitutions, a direct oxidation to phenol can pertain to a nucleophilic substitution of benzene. The two reactions which are quite well known involve the meisenheimer complex and the other benzyne, both are completed within 1 or two steps, however not quite direct since a derivative of benzene is required at the beginning of each reaction.
  4. Mar 18, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

Yeah, I've looked at the innocentive site before. There was a post doc in my undergrad lab who was working on one of the targets that had a $75k prize attached to it. I don't think he got it done in time though. Most of the molecules on that site are very difficult or address a particular problem in organic synthesis, like the oxidation of benzene to phenol. The tough thing about a lot of them is that people have already been working on these problems for a long time. The companies that post the targets have almost certainly already tried to synthesize these molecules or achieve the transformations, but have met with little or no success.
  5. Mar 18, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be a good thing if I had the energy and knowledge to pursue these kind of reactions, but I have never had it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?