Understanding the Role of Barristers and Solicitors in the English Legal System

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
In summary, the Inns of Court in London - Lincoln Inn, Middle Temple, Inner Temple, and Gray's Inn - are the equivalent of Bar Associations in most other countries. After completing a law degree, one must register with one of the inns to obtain a practice license. In England and Wales, the term 'barrister' is used, while in other countries such as India, the term 'advocate' is more commonly used. There is also the term 'solicitor', which refers to a lawyer who does not plead cases in court. However, one can still become a solicitor by choice and then decide whether to plead or not. It is recommended to gain experience as a solicitor before starting a personal practice
jackson6612
Are the Inns of Court in London, Lincoln Inn, Middle Temple, Inner Temple, Gray's Inn, equivalent of Bar Associations in most other countries?

After completing law degree (LLB or JD) one has to register with one of the inns to get a practice license?

I think the term 'barrister' is used in England and Wales, and in other countries such as India equivalent term 'advocate' is in fashion. Then, there is another term 'solicitor'. I think solicitor is a lawyer/attorney who DOES NOT plead cases in courts. I didn't use "CANNOT" because I believe one becomes a solicitor by one's own choice. Once one registers with some bar, then it's up to the one's own discretion whether one would like to plead or not. I think it would be good to first start working as a solicitor under an advocate for some time and once one has enough knowledge of inner workings of legal system, one can start the role of an advocate by starting his personal practice. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Help!

I don't know an answer to the technicalities, and am not sure that many of our members will be able to help. What stage of your education are you at? Have you tried asking someone who might know more about the legal profession or, failing that, you could perhaps seek an internet forum more relevant to the question (I'm sure there are many out there).

By the way, I think your definition of solicitor/barrister is slightly incorrect: a solicitor can plead cases in courts, but only the lower ones (county or magistrate), whereas a barrister has the right to an audience in all courts.

1. What are the Inns of Court in London?

The Inns of Court are four professional associations for barristers and judges in England and Wales. They are located in the City of London and are responsible for the education, training, and regulation of barristers.

2. How many Inns of Court are there in London?

There are four Inns of Court in London: Inner Temple, Middle Temple, Lincoln's Inn, and Gray's Inn. Each Inn has its own unique history, traditions, and buildings.

3. Who can join the Inns of Court in London?

Only qualified barristers, judges, and law students can join the Inns of Court in London. To become a member, one must be called to the Bar by completing the Bar Professional Training Course and receiving a certificate of completion from one of the Inns.

4. What is the purpose of the Inns of Court in London?

The primary purpose of the Inns of Court is to provide education and training for barristers, as well as to regulate the profession. They also offer support and resources for their members, such as access to libraries and networking opportunities.

5. Are the Inns of Court open to the public?

While the Inns of Court are primarily for the use of barristers and members of the legal profession, some parts of the Inns are open to the public. These include the gardens, libraries, and some historic buildings. However, access may be limited during certain events or functions.