1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inorganic chemistry help

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing this chemistry report, and I have absolutely no experience in chemistry.

We have this solution containg (among some other stuff) Ba^2+, Sr^2+ and Ca^2+ ions along with SO4^2-ions in excess. Now we add some Na2CO3 to transform the sulphates to carbonates. They ask me these questions:

1) Write the reaction equations for this transformation. My guess is:

BaSO4(s) + CO3^2-(aq) --> BaCO3(s) + SO4^2-(aq)​

and so on.

2) Is the solution acid or basic in this reaction? Since CO3^2- is a weaker base than SO4^2-, I would say that the answer is basic.

3) Calculate the equilibrium constants by using the solubility products. Ok, here I start by writing the equilibrium equation:

[tex]K=\frac{[{\text{SO}_4}^{2-}]_{eq}}{[{\text{CO}_3}^{2-}]_{eq}}[/tex]​

This should be valid for both the Ba-, Sr- and Ca-case. But this doesn't make sense, since the constants should be different. What am I missing here?

4) Explain why BaSO4 reacts to form BaCO3 even though BaSO4 is sparingly soluble (I hope this is the phrase) to a higher degree than BaCO3. I'm lost at sea here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good so far.
    You are missing/skipping/forgetting the cation concentrations.
    The system(s) will eventually reach equilibrium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted