How is the Electron Configuration of Central Atoms in Complex Salts Determined?

In summary, Aditya is saying that he knows about the D-D transition mechanism, but he is not very good at inorganic chemistry, so others will be able to help him.
AdityaDev
I am confused with the electron configuration of central atoms in complex salts eg. ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{2-}## configuration just Fe atom is
2.png

Now the complex is low spin so the configuration becomes,
1.png

Now we have 6CN. where will they donate their electrons? Will the donate electrons in the remaining ##e_g## to form ##d^nsp^m## or will they donate electrons in the 4s, 4p and 4d to form ##sp^nd^m## or will they have some other configuration? Can you give some exceptional cases (like for Pt all ligands are strong field and most are square planar)
I have read Crystal Field Theory and VSEPR theory. I also know Jahn-teller distorsion and Crystal field splitting.Also, the oxidation number of Fe is +4.
So will the electrons first be removed first from 4s before 3d?Is this true for all cases?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:
##[Fe(CN)_6]^{2-}##

Are you sure about the formula?

AdityaDev said:
the oxidation number of Fe is +4

That would be quite unusual.

Borek said:
Are you sure about the formula?
That would be quite unusual.
It may not be possible. It's a question in J D lee inorganic chemistry... But just check if I am right.

AdityaDev said:
It may not be possible. It's a question in J D lee inorganic chemistry... But just check if I am right.
No, there is no formula like ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{2-} ##. Fe has the most stable form as ## Fe^{3+} ## and sometimes forms as ## Fe^{2+}##. There is formula like ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{4-} ## and ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{3-} ##
There might be a misprinting.

Raghav Gupta said:
No, there is no formula like ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{2-} ##. Fe has the most stable form as ## Fe^{3+} ## and sometimes forms as ## Fe^{2+}##. There is formula like ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{4-} ## and ##[Fe(CN)_6]^{3-} ##
There might be a misprinting.
I know... just assume its correct... and let's just try to work with CFSE and CFT. Forget about periodic table.

This thread may be closed by someone because of Fe4+. I know it doesn't work that way.lets have a new Fe. I just want to know if what I'm doing is right. This has happened some times in physics forums where people are not understanding what I mean.
PF values civility
PF values grammar
PF values blah blah blah...
where is PF values creativity?
I had typed and edited the thread. It took me 20 minutes ( I could have just mugged it up but want to understand... You know, i think its the thirst for understanding that's important for a science student).
Assume its Fe4+. If you can't work with such situations, just close the thread.PF is good for advanced theories and here you value Socratic education (like chemical forums). But in my country, problem solving skills is given an emphasis. If i am not good in it, then i won't get a good college.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry if this reply seems belligerent.

Last edited:
AdityaDev said:
I know... just assume its correct... and let's just try to work with CFSE and CFT. Forget about periodic table.
Well actually my inorganic chemistry is a bit bad. So others will be able to help you in this case. I only knew in this thread that there is no formula such as ## [ Fe(CN)_6]^{2-} ## .

I think it is
Raghav Gupta said:
Well actually my inorganic chemistry is a bit bad. So others will be able to help you in this case. I only knew in this thread that there is no formula such as ## [ Fe(CN)_6]^{2-} ## .
fecn6 "4-" not 2-. Its a mistake in the book.

Oh sorry I didn't looked at your above consecutive reply because at that time I was typing my reply.

We are posting at the same time in this thread is creating a mess , sorry.

Raghav Gupta said:
We are posting at the same time in this thread is creating a mess , sorry.
Its ok.

AdityaDev said:
Its ok.
Well Aditya(I suppose it's your first name ) what about our previous conversations?
Sorry others as it is going one on one interaction?

What are coordination compounds?

Coordination compounds are molecules that consist of a central metal ion or atom surrounded by ligands, which are molecules or ions that bond to the metal. The metal and ligands are held together by coordinate covalent bonds.

How are coordination compounds named?

Coordination compounds are named using a specific set of rules, called the IUPAC nomenclature. The name includes the name of the central metal, followed by the names of the ligands in alphabetical order, and then the oxidation state of the metal in parentheses.

What is the structure of coordination compounds?

The structure of coordination compounds can vary, but they generally have a central metal ion or atom surrounded by ligands. The shape of the molecule is determined by the number of ligands and their orientation around the central metal. Common shapes include octahedral, tetrahedral, and square planar.

What are the properties of coordination compounds?

Coordination compounds have a variety of properties, including color, magnetism, and reactivity. The properties are determined by the type of central metal, the ligands, and the overall structure of the molecule. For example, coordination compounds with transition metals tend to be colorful, while those with non-transition metals are often colorless.

How are coordination compounds used?

Coordination compounds have a wide range of applications, including as catalysts, medications, and materials for industrial processes. They are also used in analytical chemistry to determine the presence and concentration of certain ions in a solution. Some coordination compounds, such as vitamin B12, are essential for biological processes in living organisms.