What Defines a d0 Complex in Inorganic Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation is about the definition of a d0 complex in the context of molecular orbital analysis of a tungsten hydride complex. The person is having trouble finding a clear definition and is seeking help in understanding it. They mention their own understanding of the term and ask for confirmation. Another person provides a link to a Wikipedia article that is helpful.
salazar888

Homework Statement

I'm trying to perform a molecular orbital analysis of a tungsten hydride complex, (WH6) and I haven't been able to find an intuitive or basic definition for a "d0 complex". Every time I read an article about a d0 complex they tangentially mention them and then jump into the problem.

Homework Equations

What is the definition of a d0 complex?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it referred to any complex where the d orbital electrons do not directly participate in the bonding between the metal and its ligands. I just want a pure definition. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes sir, greatly appreciated.

1. What are d0 complexes in inorganic chemistry?

d0 complexes refer to coordination compounds that contain a central metal ion with a completely empty d-orbital. This means that the metal ion has a formal oxidation state of 0 and does not have any unpaired electrons in its d-orbital.

2. How are d0 complexes different from other coordination compounds?

Unlike other coordination compounds, d0 complexes do not have any d-electrons available for bonding. This makes them unique and often highly reactive.

3. What are the properties of d0 complexes?

d0 complexes tend to have high oxidation states and can exhibit strong Lewis acid behavior due to the lack of d-electrons. They also tend to have strong ligand-metal bonds, making them stable and often insoluble in water.

4. What are some examples of d0 complexes?

Some common examples of d0 complexes include [PtCl6]2-, [AuCl6]3-, and [Fe(CN)6]3-. These complexes often have bright colors and are used in various applications such as catalysis and materials synthesis.

5. How are d0 complexes studied and characterized?

Scientists use various techniques, such as UV-Vis spectroscopy, NMR spectroscopy, and X-ray crystallography, to study and characterize d0 complexes. These techniques can provide information about the ligand-metal bonding, electronic structure, and geometry of the complex.