1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Input and Output Load Lines

Tags:
  1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    o88fyYJ.jpg

I am not sure i know what is meant by the input load line and the output load line in parts b and c. I tried looking it up in my book (fundamentals of microelectronics by razavi) but to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

To derive the output load line imagine removing everything from the circuit except the RD and RS resistors, then plotting I vs. V where I is the current in those resistors and V is the voltage across the "empty gap" between them. It is immaterial what element you insert into that gap, the current through it and voltage across it are fully constrained by that pair of resistors together with the supply voltage, and this gap's I vs. V plot is known as the output DC load line.

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4

LvW

* Input load line:
    VGS=VG-VS=VG-IDS*RS.
    From this: IDS=VG/RS-VGS/RS.
    This gives a straight line crossing the IDS=f(VGS) graph in one point.

* Output load line
    VDS=VD-VS=VDD-IDS*RD-IDS*RS=VDD-IDS*(RD+RS).
    From this: IDS=(VDD-VDS)/(RD+RS)=VDD/(RD+RS)-VDS/(RD+RS).
    This load line has a negative slope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted