Input and output voltages of a transformer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transformers and how they work by stepping up or stepping down voltage or current. The problem presented involves calculating the number of turns needed in the output coil of a transformer given the input voltage, current, and number of turns. By using the formula N1*V1*I1 = N2*V2*I2, the solution is found to be Vin/Vout = Nin/Nout. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing gratitude for the explanation and clarification of the concept.
derfrok
okay, I Don't quite grasp this concept but!. Vo/Vi = No/Ni.

And I have this problem. A Generator at a power plant produces AC at 24,000 V.A transformer steps this up to 345,000 V for transmission over power lines. IF there are 2000 turns of wire in the input coil of the transformer, how many turns must there be in the output coil? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heres how u do the problem...

First let me tell u the basics of a transformer. A transformer is a mutual inductance based device that transfers power from one part to the other. It does so by virtue of stepping up the voltage or the current.
i.e VI = constant. So if the input voltage, current and the number of turns are V1, I1 and N1 and those on the o/p are V2, I2 and N2, then,

N1*V1*I1 = N2*V2*I2 .

So, the voltage or current level can be stepped up or stepped down accordingly. Do u understand the concept now?

And about the solution to ur problem, I think u have answered ur qn. The answer is: Vin/Vout = Nin/Nout.

Sridhar

Yes, "Vo/Vi = No/Ni" . Also you are told that Vi= 24000, Vo= 345000 and Ni= 2000. Put those into the equation and you have:

345000/24000= No/2000. Can you solve for No?

ah! thanks guys.. see i thought i had the answer down! But, the tutors at my school we're telling me something else! Thanks for ellaborating! :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of a transformer?

A transformer is a device that is used to change the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical supply. It is primarily used to step up or step down the voltage to a level that is suitable for specific applications, such as powering electronic devices or transmitting electricity over long distances.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. It consists of two coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, which are wound around a common iron core. When an alternating current is passed through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a voltage in the secondary winding.

3. What are input and output voltages of a transformer?

The input voltage of a transformer is the voltage supplied to the primary winding, while the output voltage is the voltage induced in the secondary winding. The ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary windings determines the ratio of the input and output voltages.

4. Can a transformer change the frequency of an electrical signal?

No, a transformer cannot change the frequency of an electrical signal. It only changes the voltage level of the AC supply. The frequency of the output signal will be the same as the input signal.

5. What is the relationship between the input and output voltages of a transformer?

The relationship between the input and output voltages of a transformer is determined by its turns ratio. For example, if a transformer has a turns ratio of 2:1, the output voltage will be half of the input voltage. This relationship is known as the voltage transformation ratio and is a crucial factor in the functioning of a transformer.