Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Input and output voltages of a transformer?

1. Apr 26, 2004 #1
    okay, I Don't quite grasp this concept but!. Vo/Vi = No/Ni.

And I have this problem. A Generator at a power plant produces AC at 24,000 V.A transformer steps this up to 345,000 V for transmission over power lines. IF there are 2000 turns of wire in the input coil of the transformer, how many turns must there be in the output coil? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2
    Heres how u do the problem....

First let me tell u the basics of a transformer. A transformer is a mutual inductance based device that transfers power from one part to the other. It does so by virtue of stepping up the voltage or the current.
    i.e VI = constant. So if the input voltage, current and the number of turns are V1, I1 and N1 and those on the o/p are V2, I2 and N2, then,

N1*V1*I1 = N2*V2*I2 .

So, the voltage or current level can be stepped up or stepped down accordingly. Do u understand the concept now????

And about the solution to ur problem, I think u have answered ur qn. The answer is: Vin/Vout = Nin/Nout.

Sridhar

4. Apr 26, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, "Vo/Vi = No/Ni" . Also you are told that Vi= 24000, Vo= 345000 and Ni= 2000. Put those into the equation and you have:

345000/24000= No/2000. Can you solve for No?

5. Apr 27, 2004 #4
    ah! thanks guys.. see i thought i had the answer down! But, the tutors at my school we're telling me something else! Thanks for ellaborating! :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook