1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Input and output voltages of a transformer?

1. Apr 26, 2004 #1
    okay, I Don't quite grasp this concept but!. Vo/Vi = No/Ni.

And I have this problem. A Generator at a power plant produces AC at 24,000 V.A transformer steps this up to 345,000 V for transmission over power lines. IF there are 2000 turns of wire in the input coil of the transformer, how many turns must there be in the output coil? :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2
    Heres how u do the problem....

First let me tell u the basics of a transformer. A transformer is a mutual inductance based device that transfers power from one part to the other. It does so by virtue of stepping up the voltage or the current.
    i.e VI = constant. So if the input voltage, current and the number of turns are V1, I1 and N1 and those on the o/p are V2, I2 and N2, then,

N1*V1*I1 = N2*V2*I2 .

So, the voltage or current level can be stepped up or stepped down accordingly. Do u understand the concept now????

And about the solution to ur problem, I think u have answered ur qn. The answer is: Vin/Vout = Nin/Nout.

4. Apr 26, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, "Vo/Vi = No/Ni" . Also you are told that Vi= 24000, Vo= 345000 and Ni= 2000. Put those into the equation and you have:

345000/24000= No/2000. Can you solve for No?
  5. Apr 27, 2004 #4
    ah! thanks guys.. see i thought i had the answer down! But, the tutors at my school we're telling me something else! Thanks for ellaborating! :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?