Modeling Input Impedance of MESFET Using Series RLC Circuit

In summary, if you want to approximate the input impedance over a range of frequencies, you can use a series RLC circuit and over-damp it to lower the Q factor.
roeb
Hi,

I'm trying to model the input impedance of a MESFET by using a series RLC circuit.

For example I have the following reflection coefficients:
.575 angle(-138) at 6 GHz
.617 angle(170) at 8 GHz
.610 angle(128) at 10 GHz

As you can see, as the frequency changes so too does the angle. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can analytically or graphically determine a fairly close approximation using a series RLC?

Right now I'm trying to plot the 3 frequencies and the reflection coefficients on a Smith Chart and come up some values but the best I've been able to do so far is
.61 angle(-150)
.59 angle(178)
.61 angle(164)

using L = .442 nH, C = .917 pF and R = 12.85 ohms.

I'd like to get some more accuracy but it seems my method is not working too well.

Thanks,
roeb

Engineering news on Phys.org
Graphically, your reflection coefficients on the smith chart should give S11 which should be your normalized input impedance. Just multiply by 50 (or whatever your characteristic impedance is) to get actual input impedance.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understand how to match a single frequency, but I'm having trouble getting a 'good' match for the range of frequencies. What I want is a single RLC network that can approximate the reflection coefficients over 6-10 GHz.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7175/temppic.png

I'm manually tuning the LC values (pretty much keeping R constant) but it's rather tedious and I can't get all that close. I realize that I'll never get a perfect match, but it seems that I should be able to iteratively solve this so that I can get a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
roeb said:
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understand how to match a single frequency, but I'm having trouble getting a 'good' match for the range of frequencies. What I want is a single RLC network that can approximate the reflection coefficients over 6-10 GHz.

I'm manually tuning the LC values (pretty much keeping R constant) but it's rather tedious and I can't get all that close. I realize that I'll never get a perfect match, but it seems that I should be able to iteratively solve this so that I can get a bit better.

Actually, if you want to use just one tuned section and widen your BW, the only thing I can think of is over-damping it to lower the Q factor. You'll choose resonance to be maybe around 8GHz, then vary your resistor to increase or decrease BW. Higher resistance is higher damping, lower Q, and higher BW.

1. What is input impedance in a MESFET?

The input impedance in a MESFET (Metal-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a measure of how much resistance the device presents to the input signal. It is an important electrical parameter that affects the overall performance of the transistor.

2. How is input impedance measured in a MESFET?

The input impedance of a MESFET can be measured by applying a small AC signal at the input and measuring the resulting AC current and voltage. The ratio of voltage to current is the input impedance.

3. What factors affect the input impedance of a MESFET?

The input impedance of a MESFET is affected by the device's physical structure, such as the gate length and width, as well as the material properties of the gate and substrate. The operating frequency and bias conditions also play a role in determining the input impedance.

4. Why is input impedance important in MESFET design?

The input impedance of a MESFET is important because it determines how much of the input signal is absorbed by the device and how much is reflected back to the source. This can affect the gain, stability, and noise performance of the transistor.

5. How can the input impedance of a MESFET be optimized?

The input impedance of a MESFET can be optimized by carefully choosing the device's physical dimensions and materials, as well as the operating frequency and bias conditions. Additionally, using matching networks or biasing techniques can help improve the input impedance of a MESFET.