1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Input Matching

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    Impulse Matching

In regards to finding the unit impulse response of a system. We assume that [itex]x(t) = \delta (t)[/itex] and that the intials conditions at [itex]t=0^_[/itex] are all zero. The impulse response [itex]h(t)[/itex] therefore must consists of the systems's modes for when [itex]t \geq 0^+[/itex]. But why is it that [itex]h(t) = A \delta(t) + \text{modes}[/itex] for [itex]t \geq 0[/itex]?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2006 #2
    I guess the simplest explanation would be that if the domain of the response is extended to include t = 0 (or 0-) it will have an additional component: the system's response to the impulse while the impulse is being applied, which is of course a scalar multiple of the Dirac delta function.
    Since the delta function is non-zero for t = 0- and 0 but not for 0+, the response for t >= 0+ will not involve the delta function at all, just it's residual effect (the system's characteristic oscillations). You will generally only be concerned with the response for t > 0+.
    That's what I think it is, but I might be wrong. I appologise for the lack of mathematical rigour in this post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?