Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Input Matching

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    Impulse Matching

In regards to finding the unit impulse response of a system. We assume that [itex]x(t) = \delta (t)[/itex] and that the intials conditions at [itex]t=0^_[/itex] are all zero. The impulse response [itex]h(t)[/itex] therefore must consists of the systems's modes for when [itex]t \geq 0^+[/itex]. But why is it that [itex]h(t) = A \delta(t) + \text{modes}[/itex] for [itex]t \geq 0[/itex]?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2006 #2
    I guess the simplest explanation would be that if the domain of the response is extended to include t = 0 (or 0-) it will have an additional component: the system's response to the impulse while the impulse is being applied, which is of course a scalar multiple of the Dirac delta function.
    Since the delta function is non-zero for t = 0- and 0 but not for 0+, the response for t >= 0+ will not involve the delta function at all, just it's residual effect (the system's characteristic oscillations). You will generally only be concerned with the response for t > 0+.
    That's what I think it is, but I might be wrong. I appologise for the lack of mathematical rigour in this post.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?