1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Input/output question

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1
    if y(x)=e^(-h)*(integral *(e^h)*rdx) + ce^(-h)
    then why can you look at that equation from this view:
    total output = response to the input+response to the initial data

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

SGT

The term [tex]e^{-h}\int{e^{h}rdx}[/tex] is the response to the input and the term [tex]ce^{-h}[/tex] is the response to the initial conditions.

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3
    i know, but why?

5. Aug 16, 2005 #4

SGT

In the expression, [tex]r(x)[/tex] is the input and [tex]c[/tex] is the initial state. So, the integral is a function of the input and the second term is a function of the initial state.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5
    @@a
    i thought c was a constant? why is that particular one the initial state?
    r(x) is the input because usually x is the input, right?

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6

SGT

[tex]x[/tex] is the independent variable. [tex]r(x)[/tex] is an arbitrary function of the independent variable and is the input to your system. [tex]c = y(x_0)[/tex] is the initial value of the dependent variable [tex]y[/tex]. [tex]h = a.(x - x_0)[/tex].
    The integral is in reality a definite one. So:
    [tex]y(x) = e^{-h}\int_{x_0}^{x}e^hr(x')dx' + c e^{-h}[/tex]
    At [tex]x = x_0[/tex] [tex]e^{-h} = e^{-a.(x_0 - x_0)} = e^0 = 1[/tex] and the integral from [tex]x_0[/tex] to [tex]x_0[/tex] is zero. So,
    [tex]y(x_0) = 0 + c.1 = c[/tex]

8. Aug 18, 2005 #7
    thank you very much! :)

9. Aug 18, 2005 #8
    by the way, do you mean that a "definite integral" is one that converges?

10. Aug 18, 2005 #9

SGT

No, a definite integral is one that has specified limits, so its result is a number and not a function of the integration variable. As you can see, in my example, I used x' as integration variable and x as one of the limits. Relative to x', x is a constant.

11. Aug 18, 2005 #10
    thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?