Solving Equation: dy/dt + 3y = x(t-2) | Time Invariance

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the solution to the given equation is y(t) = e^-3t * int[e^3T * x(T-2) dT], with limits of integration from 0 to t, and the equation is time-invariant.
magnifik
find the solution for the following equation & determine if it is time invariant:

dy(t)/dt + 3y(t) = x(t-2), t > 0 and y(0) = 0

i did it by parameterization but am unsure if it is correct. i need help especially with the limits of integration.

y' + 3y = x(t-2)
yh' = -3yh
yh = Ce^-3t
y(t) = v(t)e^-3t
(ve^-3t)' = v'e^-3t - 3ve^-3t
-3ve^-3t + v'e^-3t = -3ve^-3t + x(t-2)
v' = e^3t * x(t-2)
v = int[e^3t * x(t-2) dt] // int means integral
y(t) = e^-3t * int[e^3T * x(T-2) dT] // T is tau
i'm not sure if that's correct. right now i have the limits of integration set to 0 to t
i know how to check for time-invariance/variance but cannot go on with this part unless i know the formula is right

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help.Yes, the solution you have derived is correct. The limits of integration should be 0 to t, since you are solving for y(t). The equation is time-invariant, since it does not depend on the value of t.

1. What is the purpose of solving an equation with variables representing time and y?

The purpose of solving an equation with variables representing time and y is to find a relationship between the two variables. This can help predict future values of y based on different time values, or vice versa. It can also provide insights into how y changes over time and the impact of different factors on this change.

2. What is the meaning of "dy/dt" in the given equation?

"dy/dt" is a notation used in calculus to represent the derivative of y with respect to time. In other words, it represents the rate of change of y over time.

3. What does the term "time invariance" mean in this context?

In this context, "time invariance" refers to the property of the equation that states that the relationship between y and time remains the same, regardless of when the equation is solved. This means that the same values of y can be obtained at different points in time.

4. How is solving this equation useful in scientific research?

Solving equations with variables representing time and y can be useful in scientific research as it allows for the analysis and prediction of how certain variables change over time. This is particularly relevant in fields such as physics, biology, and economics, where understanding the relationship between variables and time is crucial.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation for prediction?

Yes, there are limitations to using this equation for prediction as it assumes a linear relationship between y and time. In reality, many systems exhibit non-linear behavior, which may not be accurately captured by this equation. Additionally, the accuracy of the predictions may be affected by external factors that are not accounted for in the equation.