What is the Indefinite Integral of 1/e^x?

• Thread starter mathguyz
  • Start date
In summary, the indefinite integral of 1/e^x is -e^-x + c. This can be found by substituting -x for t and then substituting back for the original variable, or by letting u = e^-x. This approach may make it easier to understand for those who are not familiar with integrating e^-x.
mathguyz
Does anyone here know what the indefinite integal of 1/e^x is?

Im an new member and, this is my first post.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathguyz said:
Does anyone here know what the indefinite integal of 1/e^x is?

Im an new member and, this is my first post.

i guess u have posted on the wrong forum, but anyways!

[tex]\int e^{-x} dx= -e^{-x}+c[/tex]

here it is how you might want to think about it: i am assuming you know how to integrate this, since it is only a tabelar integral
[tex]\int e^{x}dx[/tex], for the other one[tex]\int e^{-x}dx[/tex], take the substitution -x=t, so now we have dx=-dt, now substitute back on the integral we get:
[tex]\int e^{t}(-dt)=-\int e^{t}dt=-e^t+c [/tex] substituting back for the original variable we get [tex] -e^{-x}+c[/tex]

sutupidmath said:
here it is how you might want to think about it: i am assuming you know how to integrate this, since it is only a tabelar integral
[tex]\int e^{x}dx[/tex], for the other one[tex]\int e^{-x}dx[/tex], take the substitution -x=t, so now we have dx=-dt, now substitute back on the integral we get:
[tex]\int e^{t}(-dt)=-\int e^{t}dt=-e^t+c [/tex] substituting back for the original variable we get [tex] -e^{-x}+c[/tex]

Why not just let u = e^-x?

No need for substitution here.

JasonRox said:
Why not just let u = e^-x?

No need for substitution here.

yeah, i know, but since the op was not able to integrate e^-x, i was assuming that approaching this problem like i did, it would make it easier for him/her to understand!

1. What is the purpose of "inquiring about something"?

The purpose of inquiring about something is to gather information and gain a deeper understanding of a particular topic or subject. It involves asking questions, conducting research, and actively seeking knowledge.

2. How do I effectively inquire about something?

To effectively inquire about something, it is important to ask open-ended questions that encourage discussion and exploration. It is also crucial to actively listen and follow-up with additional questions to gain a better understanding.

3. What are the benefits of inquiring about something?

The benefits of inquiring about something include gaining knowledge, expanding your perspective, and improving critical thinking skills. It can also lead to new discoveries and innovations in various fields.

4. How can I encourage others to inquire about something?

To encourage others to inquire about something, it is important to create a safe and open environment for discussion and questioning. It is also helpful to lead by example and demonstrate the benefits of inquiring about things.

5. Is there a specific process for inquiring about something?

While there is no one specific process for inquiring about something, it can involve steps such as identifying a topic, asking questions, conducting research, and analyzing information. However, the process may vary depending on the individual and the subject being inquired about.