Exploring Wind-Generated Home Energy: A Recent Grad's What-If Scenario

In summary: I am way better at the mechanicals, than the electricals...and thanks much just for reading this far.
sleeper365
This is either too obvious or too complicated for me. As a recent grad from a trade school for wind technologies I wanted to explore a what if scenario: Suppose three high output auto alternators (like say crown vic ) were wired primary coil to 115vac house plug in a parallel connection rather than to 12vdc, and then rotated by wind, so that secondary had a higher than 60 hz output. all diodes removed, no rectifier, rewired back in series... into a homade rectifier, and a variable frequency modulator... is this a likely source of electrical energy, or just a fire waiting to happen... the question is about the alternator portion of the connections, the adjusting circuitry likely would be a separate issue entirely. Any takers with suggested theories are welcome to send, i'll read them. I can't afford to buy all this stuff and build it just to watch it fry, but I would love to develope a hybrid solar/wind inner city home power source. I am way better at the mechanicals, than the electricals...and thanks much just for reading this far. << e-mail address removed by Mentors >>

Physics news on Phys.org
sleeper365 said:
This is either too obvious or too complicated for me. As a recent grad from a trade school for wind technologies I wanted to explore a what if scenario: Suppose three high output auto alternators (like say crown vic ) were wired primary coil to 115vac house plug in a parallel connection rather than to 12vdc, and then rotated by wind, so that secondary had a higher than 60 hz output. all diodes removed, no rectifier, rewired back in series... into a homade rectifier, and a variable frequency modulator... is this a likely source of electrical energy, or just a fire waiting to happen... the question is about the alternator portion of the connections, the adjusting circuitry likely would be a separate issue entirely. Any takers with suggested theories are welcome to send, i'll read them. I can't afford to buy all this stuff and build it just to watch it fry, but I would love to develope a hybrid solar/wind inner city home power source. I am way better at the mechanicals, than the electricals...and thanks much just for reading this far. << e-mail address removed by Mentors >>

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, that is a fire waiting to happen. Please do not try any of that.

Instead, it is certainly worthwhile for you to do some more reading about how well-engineered home solar power systems work, and how they interface with the grid. You can get some initial information at wikipedia.com and HowStuffWorks.com.

Yeah, you need a special piece of equipment installed by a licensed electrician in order to safely and legally integrate alternative electrical generation with live house wiring connected to the grid.

Can't recall off-hand the name of the UL approved device or it's cost, but I think it is under $2,000 installed. Not sure, could be cheaper.

What I do know is that is DOES work and best of luck in your endeavors!
I will be doing something similar soon.

1. How does wind energy work?

Wind energy is generated by harnessing the power of the wind to turn turbines, which then convert the kinetic energy into electricity. This is done through the use of large wind turbines, typically placed in areas with consistent and strong winds, such as on mountaintops or in open fields.

2. Is wind energy a reliable source of energy?

While wind energy is dependent on the availability of wind, it is considered a reliable source of energy because it is a renewable resource and wind patterns can be predicted and monitored. Additionally, many wind farms are connected to a larger power grid, allowing for a diverse mix of energy sources to be utilized.

3. How does wind energy compare to other renewable energy sources?

Wind energy is one of the most abundant and cost-effective renewable energy sources available. It is also more efficient and produces less waste than other sources such as solar or hydro power. However, wind energy is not suitable for all locations and requires specific wind conditions to be effective.

4. What are the environmental benefits of using wind energy?

Wind energy is a clean and renewable source of energy, meaning it does not produce harmful emissions or contribute to climate change. It also has a much smaller environmental footprint compared to traditional forms of energy production, such as coal and natural gas.

5. Can wind energy be used for residential homes?

Yes, wind energy can be used for residential homes through the installation of smaller wind turbines. However, the effectiveness and efficiency of wind energy for individual homes may vary depending on location and wind patterns. It is also important to consider any local regulations or restrictions for installing wind turbines on residential properties.