Inquiry on Matrix Tensor Notation & Meaning in Curved Spacetime

In summary: As for the significance of it, I'm not sure how to answer that question. The significance is that it's a useful tool for studying curved spacetimes. I'm not sure what more you're looking for.
berlinspeed
TL;DR Summary
When comparing ##g_{\mu\nu}## with ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## in curved spacetime.
So if ##P_{0}## is an event, and I have ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu}(P_{0})}=0## and ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta}(P_{0})}\neq0##, does this notation mean ##\partial\alpha\partial\beta## or simply ##\partial(\alpha\beta)##? And what is the significance of it? Why can't it be zero in curved spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about defining your terms? All of them? Also if you want to talk about curved space-time, please specify which derivatives you are talking about. Simple partial derivatives, covariant derivatives, if covariant, are you using Levi-Civita connection. etc

berlinspeed said:
if ##P_{0}## is an event, and I have ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu}(P_{0})}=0##

This makes no sense; the metric never vanishes. I think what you meant to write here is ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu}(P_{0})}=\eta_{\mu \nu}##.

berlinspeed said:
does this notation mean ##\partial\alpha\partial\beta## or simply ##\partial(\alpha\beta)##?

The notation ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu, \alpha \beta}(P_{0})}## means ##\mathcal {\partial_\alpha \partial_\beta g_{\mu\nu}(P_{0})}##. I have no idea what you mean by ##\partial\alpha\partial\beta## or ##\partial(\alpha\beta)##.

berlinspeed said:
what is the significance of it?

What is the significance of what?

It would help if you would give a specific reference for where you are getting this from. Also it would help to have some idea of how much background you have in GR; you marked this thread as "A" level but the questions you are asking don't indicate that you have that level of background knowledge.

You can always find a coordinate system such that ##g_{\mu\nu} = \eta_{\mu\nu}## and the Christoffel symbols vanish at a given point ##p##. However, in such a coordinate system, the Riemann curvature tensor at ##p## takes the form
$$
R^d_{cab} = \partial_a \Gamma^d_{bc} - \partial_b \Gamma^d_{ac}.
$$
Inserting the explicit form of the Christoffel symbols and lowering the ##d##-index leads to
$$
R_{abcd} = \frac{1}{2}(g_{bc,ad} + g_{ad,bc} - g_{bd,ac} - g_{ac,bd}).
$$
Therefore, if ##g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta} = 0##, then the curvature tensor would be identically equal to zero at ##p##, i.e., the manifold would be flat at ##p##, contrary to the assertion that the manifold is curved at ##p##.

Orodruin said:
You can always find a coordinate system such that ##g_{\mu\nu}## and the Christoffel symbols vanish at a given point ##p##.

Such that ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu}## and the Christoffel symbols vanish at a given point ##p##. The metric ##g_{\mu \nu}## does not vanish.

PeterDonis said:
Such that ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu}## and the Christoffel symbols vanish at a given point ##p##. The metric ##g_{\mu \nu}## does not vanish.
Meh, that is what happens when you edit your post too much before posting, you remove things that were needed to make it correct ...

Edit: Fixed ...

Orodruin said:
You can always find a coordinate system such that ##g_{\mu\nu} = \eta_{\mu\nu}## and the Christoffel symbols vanish at a given point ##p##. However, in such a coordinate system, the Riemann curvature tensor at ##p## takes the form
$$
R^d_{cab} = \partial_a \Gamma^d_{bc} - \partial_b \Gamma^d_{ac}.
$$
Inserting the explicit form of the Christoffel symbols and lowering the ##d##-index leads to
$$
R_{abcd} = \frac{1}{2}(g_{bc,ad} + g_{ad,bc} - g_{bd,ac} - g_{ac,bd}).
$$
Therefore, if ##g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta} = 0##, then the curvature tensor would be identically equal to zero at ##p##, i.e., the manifold would be flat at ##p##, contrary to the assertion that the manifold is curved at ##p##.
Thanks for the explanation however my question was simply regarding the notation of ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta}(P_{0})}\neq0## -- does the ##,\alpha\beta## signify ##\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}## or ##\partial_{(\alpha\beta)}##, now it seems to be the former..

Last edited:
berlinspeed said:
Thanks for the explanation however my question was simply regarding the notation of ##\mathcal {g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta}(P_{0})}\neq0## -- does the ##,\alpha\beta## signify ##\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}## or ##\partial_{(\alpha\beta)}##, now it seems to be the former..
Your OP had three questions;
berlinspeed said:
Summary: When comparing ##g_{\mu\nu}## with ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## in curved spacetime.

Why can't it be zero in curved spacetime?
I was answering this one as the others had been addressed.

Likes berlinspeed
berlinspeed said:
As noted above, ##g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta}## is a shorthand notation for ##\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta g_{\mu\nu}##, which in turn is shorthand for $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\alpha}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\beta}g_{\mu\nu}$$You seem to me to be trying to ask if it might instead mean$$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^\alpha\partial x^\beta}g_{\mu\nu}$$But that's exactly the same thing.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
As noted above, ##g_{\mu\nu,\alpha\beta}## is a shorthand notation for ##\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta g_{\mu\nu}##, which in turn is shorthand for $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\alpha}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\beta}g_{\mu\nu}$$You seem to me to be trying to ask if it might instead mean$$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^\alpha\partial x^\beta}g_{\mu\nu}$$But that's exactly the same thing.
No I thought it was the product of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## but it's not, which wouldn't make much sense.

1. What is matrix tensor notation?

Matrix tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers. It uses matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers, to represent the components of tensors.

2. How is matrix tensor notation used in curved spacetime?

In curved spacetime, matrix tensor notation is used to represent the components of tensors that describe the curvature of space and time. This notation is essential in the field of general relativity, which studies the effects of gravity on the curvature of spacetime.

3. What is the meaning of matrix tensor notation in curved spacetime?

The meaning of matrix tensor notation in curved spacetime is to represent the components of tensors that describe the curvature of spacetime. This notation allows for complex mathematical calculations and equations to be written and solved, helping scientists better understand the nature of gravity and the universe.

4. How is matrix tensor notation different from other mathematical notations?

Matrix tensor notation is different from other mathematical notations in that it specifically deals with tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers. Other notations may be used for different types of mathematical objects, such as vectors or scalars.

5. Why is matrix tensor notation important in scientific research?

Matrix tensor notation is important in scientific research because it allows for the representation and manipulation of complex mathematical objects, such as tensors, which are essential in many fields of science. It also allows for the development of mathematical models and equations that can help us understand and predict phenomena in the natural world.