Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insane integral tricks

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    Ingenious integral tricks

In QFT today I learnt some insane tricks in calculating impossible integrals....I figure it'd be a good idea to see if others have similar tricks so we can all learn from each other.

here goes:
    to integrate (bounds are assumed to be from negative inf to inf, k^2 means the vector dot product)
    edit: missing factors of 2pi

[tex]\int \frac{d^d k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{1}{(k^2 + m^2)^n}[/tex]
    substitute
    [tex]\frac{1}{(k^2 + m^2)^n}=\frac{1}{\Gamma(n)}\int_0^\infty t^n e^{-t(k^2 + m^2)} dt[/tex]

and get a gaussian in the integral. At the end of the day,
    [tex]\int \frac{d^d k}{(2\pi)^d}\frac{1}{(k^2 + m^2)^n}=\frac{\Gamma(n-d/2)(m^2)^{d/2-n}}{\Gamma(n)(4\pi)^{d/2}}[/tex]

[tex]\Gamma(n)=(n-1)![/tex]

Quite crazy eh? I would've never thought of it myself... what about your favorite crazy tricks?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Another I have to share (I read it in some analysis book...)

take the following integral
    [tex]\binom{m+n+1}{m,n}\int_0^1 u^{m} (1-u)^n du[/tex]
    consider the integral as a sum, we see that given m+n+1 particles on (0,1), it sums the probability of finding m particles in (0, u), 1 particle around the point u and n particles in (u, 1), so it must be one. This gives the beta integral for integers m, n!!!
    [tex]\int_0^1 u^{m} (1-u)^n du=\frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}[/tex]

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Re: Ingenious integral tricks

I wonder if most of these crazy tricks can be found without guessing. This substitution suggests that the initial problem could be simply solved by Laplace transforms?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?