Insane rotation/torque problem

• Thread starter Brianjw
  • Start date
In summary: Then you'll have N*m on the left and N*m on the right, so you can solve for F_{crank}.In summary, the problem involves a 55.0-kg grindstone with a diameter of 0.520 m and a normal force of 160 N being pressed onto the rim by an axe. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the blade and the stone is 0.60 and there is a constant friction torque of 6.50 N*m on the axle. The first question asks for the amount of tangential force that must be applied at the end of a crank handle 0.500 m long to bring the stone from rest to 120 rev/min in 9.00 s. The second
Brianjw
K this is the last problem for me in the Rotation/Torque section of my homework and its nuts. I've put it off after working on it for an hour and now I have to do it:

A 55.0-kg grindstone is a solid disk 0.520 m in diameter. You press an ax down on the rim with a normal force of 160 N . The coefficient of kinetic friction between the blade and the stone is 0.60, and there is a constant friction torque of 6.50 N*m between the axle of the stone and its bearings.

for a picture go here, trust me it helps alot:

http://members.cox.net/brianjw/wheel.JPG

It has 3 questions:

1)How much force must be applied tangentially at the end of a crank handle 0.500 m long to bring the stone from rest to 120 rev/min in 9.00 s?

For this one I know I need to get the sum of the torques. But the crank and the way the axe is being onto the stone is confusing me. Also, what formula do I use that has time in it? Can't seem to find any from this section.

The next 2 I can't really solve cause the first part is stumping me.

2)After the grindstone attains an angular speed of 120 rev/min, what tangential force at the end of the handle is needed to maintain a constant angular speed of 120 rev/min?

3)How much time does it take the grindstone to come from 120 rev/min to rest if it is acted on by the axle friction alone?

Thanks for any input, even where to start would be greatly appreciated. I don't expect someone to give me an answer, just a nudge in the right direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force of friction, like usual, = Normal force*Coefficient of kinetic friction.

After that, use [itex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} \Rightarrow |\tau| = rF[/itex] and add them up.

The kinematics of rotating things have direct analogs to the kinematics of linear things. In linear, we have

[tex]a\Delta t = \Delta v[/tex]

so that means in rotational we'll have

[tex]\alpha \Delta t = \Delta \omega[/tex]

cookiemonster

Last edited:
Brianjw said:
1)How much force must be applied tangentially at the end of a crank handle 0.500 m long to bring the stone from rest to 120 rev/min in 9.00 s?

For this one I know I need to get the sum of the torques. But the crank and the way the axe is being onto the stone is confusing me. Also, what formula do I use that has time in it? Can't seem to find any from this section.
You are told that the axe is producing a normal force. Like cookiemonster already pointed out, you can use this normal force to find the force of friction and the torque caused by this friction. The force you apply to the crank is perpendicular to the crank. You are given the length of the crank so you can calculate the torque on it.

I think you can take it from there.

I thought I understood but the numbers that I'm using aren't adding up:
[tex]Radius = .26m[/tex]

[tex]U_{k of axe} = .60[/tex]

[tex]Normal = 160N[/tex]

[tex]Mass = 55.0Kg[/tex]

[tex]I = .5*M*R^2[/tex]

[tex]Constant Torque = 6.50 N*m[/tex]

[tex] \sum\tau = .5m * F_{crank} - .26m*160N*.6 - 6.5N*m = I\alpha [/tex]
I also use:
[tex]\alpha \Delta t = \Delta \omega[/tex]

Using that I can get:

[tex] \alpha*9.0s = 2.0 Rev/s [/tex]
which implies:
[tex] \alpha = \frac{2.0}{9.0} Rev/s^2[/tex]
[tex].5m * F_{crank} - .26m*160N*.6 - 6.5N*m = 1.859kg*m^2* \frac{2.0}{9.0}Rev/s^2 [/tex]
[tex]F_{crank} = 24.96N*m + 6.5N*m + 1.859kg*m^2* \frac{2.0}{9.0}Rev/s^2
[/tex]

I know I'm missing something because the units are the right way, but not sure wha tI'm missing...

Last edited:
Brianjw said:
I thought I understood but the numbers that I'm using aren't adding up:
[tex]Radius = .26m[/tex]

[tex]U_{k of axe} = .60[/tex]

[tex]Normal = 160N[/tex]

[tex]Mass = 55.0Kg[/tex]

[tex]I = .5*M*R^2[/tex]

[tex]Constant Torque = 6.50 N*m[/tex]

[tex] \sum\tau = .5m * F_{crank} - .26m*160N*.6 - 6.5N*m = I\alpha [/tex]
You are computing the sum of the torques on the entire system (rim and crank) so the I on the RHS of the last equation should be the moment of inertia of the rim + crank. Since you don't know the mass of the crank, I suggest you reevaluate your methods.

Hmm, didn't think about that. I didn't see another torque equation, that I thought would work, in my notes, but I did find an equation:

[tex] \tau = mr^2\alpha [/tex]

Tried that and didn't work either. Hmm.

radians, not revolutions

Brianjw said:
I know I'm missing something because the units are the right way, but not sure wha tI'm missing...
Express [itex]\alpha[/itex] in the proper units: radians/sec^2.

1. What is the "Insane rotation/torque problem"?

The "Insane rotation/torque problem" is a theoretical physics problem that examines the effects of angular momentum and torque on a spinning object. It involves a spinning wheel with a weight attached to it, and the challenge is to determine how the weight's position and torque affect the rotation of the wheel.

2. Why is it called the "Insane rotation/torque problem"?

The problem is often referred to as "insane" because it involves complex calculations and can be challenging to solve. Additionally, the solution to the problem can seem counterintuitive and even "crazy" to some people.

3. What is the significance of the "Insane rotation/torque problem"?

The problem helps scientists better understand the principles of angular momentum and torque, which are crucial in many areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in fields like engineering and robotics.

4. How is the "Insane rotation/torque problem" solved?

The problem can be solved using mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as the conservation of angular momentum and the relationship between torque, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia. It may also require some trial and error to find the correct solution.

5. What are some real-life examples of the "Insane rotation/torque problem"?

The problem can be observed in many everyday situations, such as a spinning top with a weight attached to it, a rotating propeller on a helicopter, or a gymnast performing a spinning routine on a balance beam. It can also be seen in more complex systems, such as the rotation of planets and galaxies.