Insect Identification: ID a 3-4cm Long Insect

In summary, the conversation discusses a strange insect spotted in Brooklyn with long, veined wings and a split or lobed abdomen. The speaker attempted to identify it using Google, but was unsuccessful. They express a desire for a Google-like tool for image matching.
slider142
We were walking down a Brooklyn sidewalk the other day under several trees when we spotted this insect lying motionless (except when the wind blew, it moved its legs a little to rotate itself). We didn't get too close, as it looked like it could give a bad sting. It has two pairs of long veined wings, like a dragonfly's, and is about 3-4 cm long, so it is much larger than an ant, even though its' body appears similar. What is it?

http://img55.imageshack.us/i/oddinsect.png/
http://img269.imageshack.us/i/oddinsectfront.png/

Biology news on Phys.org
Curious looking bug...it looks like the abdomen is split. I Googled using winged insect bifurcated abdomen, and also winged insect lobed abdomen. Didn't see anything like it.

But I'm not an entomologist...surely someone here will know it, though.

Thanks for the effort. If only there was a Google for image matching! :D

1. What is the best way to identify a 3-4cm long insect?

The best way to identify a 3-4cm long insect is by examining its physical characteristics, such as body shape, color, and number of legs, and comparing them to known insect species. You can also use identification keys, field guides, or consult with an entomologist for assistance.

2. How can I determine the species of a 3-4cm long insect?

To determine the species of a 3-4cm long insect, you can use various identification methods, such as observing its behavior, looking at its habitat and food source, and using a microscope to examine its physical features. DNA analysis can also be used for accurate species identification.

3. Is it possible to identify an insect solely based on its size?

No, it is not possible to identify an insect solely based on its size. Insects of the same size can belong to different species, and some species can vary in size based on their life stage or environmental conditions. Size can be a helpful factor in identification, but it should be considered alongside other characteristics.

4. Can I use a photo for insect identification?

Yes, you can use a photo for insect identification, but it may not always be accurate. It is best to take multiple photos from different angles and include close-up shots of key features, such as wings and antennae. It is also helpful to provide information about the insect's habitat, behavior, and size in the photo's description.

5. What should I do if I cannot identify a 3-4cm long insect?

If you are unable to identify a 3-4cm long insect, you can seek assistance from a trained entomologist or submit the specimen to a local museum, university, or government agency for identification. It is essential to provide as much information as possible, such as location, habitat, and any photos or physical specimens.