Could an Insect in the Toilet Be the Answer to My Brother's IBS?

• Thread starter LuckyFish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insect
In summary, a person's brother believes he has an insect inside of him, but it is more likely that the insect was in the toilet before he used it. The brother has irritable bowel syndrome and is convinced this is the answer to his symptoms. However, others believe it is impossible for an insect to survive inside the body and suggest checking for worms instead. Some also recommend seeking medical help and considering alternative treatments, such as using worm eggs to alleviate symptoms. The conversation also veers off topic to discuss swallowing spiders and a similar thread about a woman believing she gave birth to a frog.
LuckyFish
My first post! Okay...this is going to sound really weird. My 32 year-old brother is CONVINCED there was an insect inside of him (not to be too graphic..but he found it in the toilet, after using). He said it resembled a silverfish or earwig and was alive. I say this is impossible...it had to have been in the toilet before. He has had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for about 3 years now...and is convinced he has 'found his answer'! He even has a Dr.'s appointment scheduled to confirm this! I think he has lost his mind, and will certainly waste his money...not to mention embarrass himself. There is no way this is possible...is it?
Thanx, in advance, for any sincere replies.
:)LuckyFish

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanx for reply, Adam! Yes...he's having all that checked. But my main question is about the bug!...whether or not that is physically possible. I say an insect cannot survive inside the body. Worms (yuk), yes, but not a 'healthy
six-legged insect! What do you think?
Thanx again, Mate!

LuckyFish said:
Thanx for reply, Adam! Yes...he's having all that checked. But my main question is about the bug!...whether or not that is physically possible. I say an insect cannot survive inside the body. Worms (yuk), yes, but not a 'healthy
six-legged insect! What do you think?
Thanx again, Mate!

It can survive unfortunately. The waste would actually perserve the insect until it 'came out'. Check it but I think it is possible. Nothing to worry about however. The insect is too small to do any damage really.

The Bob (2004 ©)

LOL, i hate to laugh at IBS but has anyone seen the Ladykillers?

Dont want to stray off topic though.

Welcome to PF!

He doesn't even consider the fact that the insect crawled into the bowl during the night?

Occams razor.

Paraphrased:
When presented with two possibilities, the simpler one is usually the truth.

This actually belongs in the biology forum. Um, no I don't think the story is possible, or has he visited any exotic countries and picked up some tropical bug? The thing he should do is check his feces for bugs, if they're in there, they'll come out. That is what the doctor will ask: a sample to send to the lab, they won't do a colonoscopy.

Interestingly you mention irritable bowel syndrome: recently researchers found out that having worms in the bowel quesces the inflamatory reaction associated with the IBS. They've actually done clinical trials feeding patients with worm eggs, that hatch in the bowel and go through a single life cycle (they can't reproduce so the egg eating should be repeated once in a while). Maybe he should inquiry about the option. (I'm not joking.)

While you're on the topic of beasties in your body...
...did you know that you swallow around 8 spiders a year? :yuck:

You most probably did :rolleyes:

I think you should be more worried about having an exterminator take a look at the bathroom if you have silverfish landing in the toilet...they live in moist places, so a nice steamy bathroom, or one with a water leak and rotting wood somewhere is an ideal habitat. You may need to check out the Home Improvement thread rather than the Biology forum...unless you need the insect identified! If it was an insect and not a worm of some sort, it wouldn't have been living inside him, certainly not years. But, if he has irritable bowel syndrome (or similar symptoms), it's probably worth the visit to the doctor anyway, though you just know the doctor is going to have a hard time keeping a straight face when he explains about the bug in the toilet.

I recommend a Raid Suppository.

Ha, i must be sad and stupid to laugh at the adverts at the top of the page, lol.

Andy said:
Ha, i must be sad and stupid to laugh at the adverts at the top of the page, lol.

Which one? They keep on changing. :confused:

The Bob (2004 ©)

BUGS live in sewers
very eazy for them to climb up into a toilet-bowl from the sewerline
pop any manhole to check

or if not on a sewer line bugs can come down the stack vents

but it DIDNOT come out of him

tooo many years as a surveyor for a water&sewer dept

A frog? Blummin eck! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Luckyfish,
If your brother had found intestinal worms I could believe it, but Silverfish or Earwig I’d have to see to believe. It seems he would have needed to swallow it whole (doesn’t he chew his food prior to swallowing?). Surviving lack of oxygen might be one problem, bathing in stomach acid another. Being encased in feces wouldn’t happen until further down the digestive tract…

Did I ever tell about the time I used a pliers to attempt pulling an intestinal worm the diameter of your thumb out of a cow’s behind? Yes, about 20” was already hanging out and the ‘skin’ was clear, allowing you to see some yellow twisty guttyworks. It was freakish, but my regret was when the body snapped in half and soaked me with an amount of juicy worm-stuff. :yuck: :eek: :biggrin:

Lets just hope it doesn't lay eggs inside of your brother!

Entropy said:
Lets just hope it doesn't lay eggs inside of your brother!

Not nice, but they will clean his insides out. :wink:

The Bob (2004 ©)

vix43 said:
While you're on the topic of beasties in your body...
...did you know that you swallow around 8 spiders a year? :yuck:

You most probably did :rolleyes:

Ack, I thought that statistic was 8 spiders in a lifetime. If it is 8 spiders a year, that makes me much more arachnophobic than I already am!

motai said:
Ack, I thought that statistic was 8 spiders in a lifetime. If it is 8 spiders a year, that makes me much more arachnophobic than I already am!

I thought it was in a lifetime as well.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What types of insects are commonly found in toilets?

There are a few types of insects that are commonly found in toilets, including cockroaches, drain flies, and water bugs. These insects are attracted to the moist and dark environment of the toilet, making it a perfect place for them to thrive.

2. How do insects get into toilets?

Insects can get into toilets in a few different ways. They could crawl in through the pipes or drain, or they could be brought in on clothing or other items. Insects can also enter through an open window or door, especially if the bathroom is located on the ground floor.

3. Are insects in toilets harmful?

In most cases, insects found in toilets are not harmful. They may be unsightly and annoying, but they are not known to transmit any diseases. However, it is important to keep your toilet clean and free of insects to maintain good hygiene.

4. How can I prevent insects from getting into my toilet?

To prevent insects from getting into your toilet, you can take a few simple steps. Make sure to keep the lid closed when the toilet is not in use, as this will prevent insects from crawling in. Also, regularly clean and disinfect your toilet to remove any potential food sources for insects.

5. What should I do if I find an insect in my toilet?

If you find an insect in your toilet, the best course of action is to remove it using a pair of tongs or a plastic bag. Do not use your hands to handle the insect, as this could spread germs. If you continue to find insects in your toilet, it may be a sign of a larger infestation, and you should contact a pest control professional.