Insects depend on vortices to keep them aloft

• Thread starter Gonzolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insects
In summary, insects rely on vortices to stay aloft and there is currently no man-made device that can replicate this mechanism. However, there is ongoing research to develop smaller flying machines, such as micro-rotary wing vehicles and synthetic jet actuator controllers.
Gonzolo
"Insects depend on vortices to keep them aloft"

As a kid, I remember learning that aerodynamics couldn't explain how bumblebees flew. Recently (2000), much light was shed on the subject (thread title quoted from link) :

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/March00/APS_Wang.hrs.html

My question is : is there presently any man-made device that take advantage of vortices to generate lift, as do hovering bumblebees?

Assuming we are not there, what are the smallest flying machines and how long can they fly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gonzolo said:
As a kid, I remember learning that aerodynamics couldn't explain how bumblebees flew. Recently (2000), much light was shed on the subject (thread title quoted from link) :

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/March00/APS_Wang.hrs.html

My question is : is there presently any man-made device that take advantage of vortices to generate lift, as do hovering bumblebees?

Assuming we are not there, what are the smallest flying machines and how long can they fly?

Great link, I have looked into it and that's a great source of interesting things. I don't know the answer to any of the two questions. But the only thing I can say is that the fact demonstrates there are some flow phenomenas that depends on the spatial scales. The characteristic length of an insect is of the same order of magnitude of the viscous characteristic lenght. It is not so in the aerodynamics of an aircraft. As you are shortening the characteristic length of the body, viscous effects become progressively important, and the mechanism of lifting will be different. But you can think of the lifting process of an air molecule suspended into the air of a room. Probably his movement is completely governed by the viscosity. So that, I think there is not any lower limit.

Last edited:
The animation is totally wicked. The phenomena is remeniscent of Brownian motion, in that length scale is relevant in both cases. It would be quite interesting to find similitudes and differences in both phenomena, which are from two entirely different fields of knowledge, AFAIK.

There is a lot of research into mimicing natural fliers. Birds, Bats, and insects. I do not know of any complete successes, but I do know that if you want more info, then search UAV's (Uncrude Air Vehicles)

Funny, I made a google search for "Uncrude Air Vehicles" and it brought me directly to here.

The military (or more appropriately DARPA) has been putting a load of money into micro-air vehicle (MAV) research.

A lot of money has been given to the University of Maryland to develop a micro-rotary wing vehicle and synthetic jet actuator controllers.

http://www.aero.umd.edu/research/agrc.html

Enjoy...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do vortices keep insects aloft?

Vortices, or spinning masses of air, create lift for insects by creating a low-pressure zone above their wings. This low-pressure zone allows the insect to stay airborne.

2. Why do insects need vortices to fly?

Insects have a small body size and weak muscles, making it difficult for them to generate enough lift on their own. Vortices provide a much-needed boost to keep them flying.

3. Do all insects depend on vortices to fly?

No, not all insects rely on vortices to fly. Some larger insects, such as dragonflies, have strong enough muscles to generate lift without the help of vortices. However, most insects, including bees and butterflies, do depend on vortices to fly.

4. Are vortices the only way insects can stay airborne?

No, vortices are not the only way insects can stay airborne. Some insects, like flies, use a different method called "clap and fling" to create lift and stay aloft. However, vortices are a common and important means of flight for many insect species.

5. How do scientists study the role of vortices in insect flight?

Scientists use various techniques, including high-speed cameras and wind tunnels, to study the aerodynamics of insect flight and the role of vortices. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to better understand how vortices affect insect flight.