Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insects of Mass Destruction

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1

Staff: Mentor

Could Insects Be Used as Bioweapons?

April 8 — Sonny Ramaswamy is trying to walk a very fine line. He doesn't want to be seen as an alarmist, but he thinks people ought to know about the thought that keeps haunting him these days.

Ramaswamy, who chairs the department of entomology at Kansas State University, is concerned that the tiny little insects he has spent a lifetime studying could become implements of international terrorism.

It's possible, he says, that even a stable fly, or something as tiny as an aphid, could be used to distribute deadly pathogens over a wide geographical area in a surprisingly rapid and efficient manner. Bugs as delivery systems for weapons of mass terror.

"It wouldn't be as spectacular as the World Trade Center," he says, "but it would be more insidious."

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there is no way that I am going to make my deadline in the morning anyway, :frown:, I saw something similar on The Science Channel. Apparently some scientists are playing with the idea of designer mosquito's that provide immunizations with every bite. The idea that this approach could be used to design a bio-weapon was mentioned as well. In fact...I just remembered seeing some previously classified footage about bio warfare during the Korean War. The statement was made that we [the US] had spread anthrax laden maggots over troops in N Korea. I don't know if this is true...it may have been some kind of propaganda film from N Korea, but in either case it seems that the idea is not completely new.

It was nice of these guys to tell everyone how to do it.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  4. Apr 12, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

My thoughts exactly. Every time they bring up a way terrorist's can do something, I wonder if they aren't just giving them ideas.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?