Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inserting Pictures Into Latex

1. May 12, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone. How do you insert pictures into a LaTeX document? Say I have a jpeg, gif, or whatever, file, and I want the image to show up in my document, how do I insert it? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 12, 2008 #3
    Wow, thanks, I never knew that.

Looking at this site: http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/figures.html#pdf
    under "Only non-PostScript images", it only talks about Unix and Macintosh.

Does that mean then I must use the first option "Only PostScript images", and convert the files (.jpg,.gif etc) to postscript files?

Can you directly get the graphics output from Matlab and gnuplot into a latex file? How?

Thanks again for tolerating my stupid questions.

5. May 12, 2008 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I use MikTeX... and I use latex, then dvips, then ghostscript (ps2pdf?) to get a .pdf file.
    I don't use pdflatex.

With my setup, I routinely include .png files... without any conversion to .eps.
    I also include .eps files produced by gnuplot and by Maple.

The URL you gave suggests that you can include .png and .jpg, as well as .eps.
    It does also suggest that any non-bitmapped images (e.g. non-.eps vector graphics or some other layered-format) be converted to .eps first... i.e. don't expect that those other formats will be handled corectly by your latex setup,

6. May 12, 2008 #5
    ok, i have no idea what you just said, im not a computer guy, I just use them to write reports. I also use MiKTeX btw.

7. May 13, 2008 #6

zyh

some ide's such as winedt or others have the Button " pdflatex " in the toolbar which could compile the tex file whth non-PostScript images.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?