Adding Images to LaTeX: A Quick Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses how to insert images into a LaTeX document and what types of images can be used. The website provided suggests that non-PostScript images can be used, but may need to be converted to .eps first. The conversation also mentions different programs and setups for compiling LaTeX files with images.
qspeechc
Hello everyone. How do you insert pictures into a LaTeX document? Say I have a jpeg, gif, or whatever, file, and I want the image to show up in my document, how do I insert it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, thanks, I never knew that.

Looking at this site: http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/figures.html#pdf
under "Only non-PostScript images", it only talks about Unix and Macintosh.

Does that mean then I must use the first option "Only PostScript images", and convert the files (.jpg,.gif etc) to postscript files?

Can you directly get the graphics output from Matlab and gnuplot into a latex file? How?

Thanks again for tolerating my stupid questions.

I use MikTeX... and I use latex, then dvips, then ghostscript (ps2pdf?) to get a .pdf file.
I don't use pdflatex.

With my setup, I routinely include .png files... without any conversion to .eps.
I also include .eps files produced by gnuplot and by Maple.

The URL you gave suggests that you can include .png and .jpg, as well as .eps.
It does also suggest that any non-bitmapped images (e.g. non-.eps vector graphics or some other layered-format) be converted to .eps first... i.e. don't expect that those other formats will be handled corectly by your latex setup,

ok, i have no idea what you just said, I am not a computer guy, I just use them to write reports. I also use MiKTeX btw.

qspeechc said:
ok, i have no idea what you just said, I am not a computer guy, I just use them to write reports. I also use MiKTeX btw.

some ide's such as winedt or others have the Button " pdflatex " in the toolbar which could compile the tex file whth non-PostScript images.

1. How do I insert pictures into Latex?

To insert pictures into Latex, you first need to use the graphicx package by adding \usepackage{graphicx} to the preamble of your document. Then, use the \includegraphics{image_file} command to insert the image at the desired location in your document. Make sure the image file is in the same directory as your Latex document.

2. What file formats are supported for inserting pictures into Latex?

The most commonly supported image formats for Latex are PNG, JPEG, and PDF. However, you can use the \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.extension1, .extension2, ...} command in the preamble to specify additional file formats that you want to be included.

3. Can I resize the inserted picture in Latex?

Yes, you can resize the inserted picture in Latex using the \includegraphics[width=desired_width]{image_file} command. This will scale the image proportionally to the specified width. You can also use height=desired_height or scale=desired_scale to adjust the size of the image.

4. How do I add a caption to the inserted picture in Latex?

To add a caption to your image in Latex, you can use the \caption{Your caption here} command after the \includegraphics{image_file} command. This will automatically number your caption and add it below the image. You can also use the \label{fig:label_name} command to label your image and refer to it later in the text using \ref{fig:label_name}.

5. Can I insert multiple pictures in one figure in Latex?

Yes, you can insert multiple pictures in one figure in Latex using the subfigure package. First, add \usepackage{subfigure} to the preamble of your document. Then, use the \begin{figure} and \end{figure} commands to wrap your subfigures. Inside the figure environment, use \subfigure[Caption]{\includegraphics{image_file}} for each subfigure you want to include. This will create a single figure with multiple images, each with their own caption and label.