Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inserting quotes

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    Is there a way to insert a quote when you are editing a post? I didn't see an option to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I just tried it in my "deletion notification thread" and it didn't work. Maybe there's some way that I don't know about.

4. Dec 15, 2014 #3

OCR

Highlight the text you want to quote, then click the + button, and click Quote.

An edit example ↓ ...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dec 15, 2014 #4
    Ok, let me try that...

Edit:
    Ok, that works but 2 problems, one, you have to do it manually with a cut and paste, two, it doesn't register the poster's name. However, at least it's halfway there. Thanks for the tip.

6. Dec 15, 2014 #5

OCR

Well, it seems to...

Or... open the edit button in a new tab, and copy and past from the previous tab...
    I left out the post number on purpose... so no arrow.

7. Dec 15, 2014 #6
    OCR, now try going back to your above post #5 and place another quote of mine (or anyone) right below it. Hit the edit button on post 5.

8. Dec 15, 2014 #7

OCR

You do have to click + Quote over on the right, if you are replying with a quote and name... it's very hard to see.

9. Dec 15, 2014 #8
    Yeah, so from what I'm getting you can enter an additional quote manually through the edit function, but can't include the poster's name.

Actually, I was able to insert my own text into your quote, see. Because you never said "how about this." So again, manually, you can insert a quote with the poster's name if you want to go back and edit a post and add another quote from someone. A bit of a hassle, though, is there a way to add the automatic quote insert on the edit feature?

10. Dec 15, 2014 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The quotes are just part of your post text. So technically you can, but if you abuse it it will have consequences.

I usually use the text area for a new post to collect quotes, then copy that to the edit window.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook