How do you write equations in LaTeX for both Windows and Mac?

• Thread starter goldsax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, unicode is a character encoding standard that allows for the representation and display of various languages and symbols. It is important for inserting symbols because it ensures proper display across different devices and platforms. To insert unicode/symbols, you can use a character map tool, copy and paste from a website, or use keyboard shortcuts. While Unicode supports a wide range of symbols, it is important to check if the symbol you want to use is supported in your font and platform. You can use a character map or online resource to find the specific symbol you need. While technically anyone can create their own unicode/symbol, it would need to go through a complex standardization process by the Unicode Consortium to be officially recognized and supported.
goldsax
is there an easier way to insert unicode / symbols then to troll through the insert menue of word ? eg this took me 3min to do!

v_r=c*((f-f^'))⁄f^'

well at least it looked correct on windows but has reverted to normal text on this thread..
how do you guys( and gals) write/post your equations? for BOTH WINDOWS and MAC

cheers

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is unicode and why is it important for inserting symbols?

Unicode is a character encoding standard that allows us to represent and display different languages and symbols from around the world. It is important for inserting symbols because it ensures that the symbols will be displayed correctly across different devices and platforms.

2. How do I insert unicode/symbols in my document or code?

To insert unicode/symbols in your document or code, you can use the character map tool on your computer, copy and paste the symbol from a website or online tool, or use keyboard shortcuts for commonly used symbols.

3. Can I use any symbol in unicode?

Unicode supports a wide range of symbols and characters from different languages and writing systems. However, not all symbols may be available in every font or platform. It is important to check if the symbol you want to use is supported in the font and platform you are using.

4. How do I know which unicode/symbol to use for a specific character or symbol?

You can use a character map tool or an online resource that lists unicode/symbols to find the specific character or symbol you need. You can also use keywords or descriptions to search for the symbol you are looking for.

5. Can I create my own unicode/symbol?

Technically, anyone can create their own unicode/symbol. However, in order for it to be officially recognized and supported, it would need to go through a standardization process by the Unicode Consortium. This process can be complex and time-consuming, so it is not a common practice.