Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inside a black hole?

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    I was wondering about black holes.

If you could some how go inside a black hole with out dieing, being turned into a spaghetti, become part of the black hole, or anything else of that sort. Would there be absolutly nothing around you, would you teleport, or go back in time. What would happen?

I know this question is absolutly ridiculous and i know I explained it poorly.
    But... I just want to know whats inside a black hole.

Thanks for reading my post :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neglecting all those unpleasant effects you described, you wouldn't be able to tell whether you were inside or outside the event horizon of a black hole (unless you did some calculation, or tried to get out of it). You would just continue to move to the center of the black hole, where there would be some singularity which would inevitably destroy you. That's all.

The funny thing is, that if you tried to get out (or actually stop free-falling, so accelerate in any way whatsoever) it would happen sooner.

4. May 24, 2008 #3
    Tere is some software to simulate the fall into it?

5. May 24, 2008 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

google "andrew hamilton"

the first hit should be the homepage of a guy at UC Boulder who has some animations and graphics like this:
    http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/singularity.html

AFAIK he doesnt have software to download but he has stuff to watch

6. May 24, 2008 #5
    Here's another webpage by CASA (Centre for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy) which appears to add graphics to Hamiltons simulations-

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/index.html

Steve

7. May 25, 2008 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Just for clarity, it should be noted that 'inside' a black hole is usually construed as meaning inside the event horizon. There is no 'inside' to the singularity. Stick with supermassive black holes if you elect to carry out this rather one sided experiment. You could pass through the event horizon without being pasta-fied in a really big one.

8. May 26, 2008 #7
    I always thought that a black hole was litterally a black flat infinitly deep hole.

Thanks for the links and answer to my question:)

So in conclusion all there is in a black hole is death.

9. May 26, 2008 #8
    You end up in another dimension ? Another universe?

10. May 26, 2008 #9
    If you ended up in the tenth dimension that would be wierd because you would be like god.

11. Mar 9, 2011 #10
    If you can't tell if you were inside or outside of a black hole, wouldn't that mean that you're in another dimension? The human mind isn't wired to perceive objects in other dimensions. Also a black hole may just be a fourth dimensional object passing through the third dimension. But honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm a 14 year old kid who can't fall asleep.

12. Mar 9, 2011 #11
    Just think of a black hole as a hole in three dimensions.

And yes, a black hole is just death :P
    Death and the edge of known physics.

13. Mar 9, 2011 #12

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Disclaimer: once you pass through the event-horizon though, you will inevitably be drawn closer to the singularity, and you will be pasta-fied. (Don't try to avoid it, you will only make it happen sooner). So don't try this at home!

14. Mar 9, 2011 #13

FtlIsAwesome

Gold Member

From a distance outside, the event horizon will appear like a black sphere. It will bend light around it. See the Wikipedia page for a rendering of this.
    An interesting thing is that, as you approach the black hole, the light distortion will make it appear that the event horizon is swallowing you up. At 1.5 Schwarzschild radius, the event horizon will appear like a level horizon. Closer than this, and the incoming light shrinks to a smaller disk.
    Note that inside of a black hole is not all black, you can still see things, though highly distorted.

If you try this at home, the black hole will suck up Earth.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  15. Mar 9, 2011 #14

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure of this?

16. Mar 9, 2011 #15

FtlIsAwesome

Gold Member

This site has some line-diagram-renderings of falling into a black hole.
    http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/singularity.html
    It addresses that when inside a black hole, you can still see the outside universe.

17. Mar 9, 2011 #16

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Oh ok, I see what you're talking about.

18. Mar 9, 2011 #17

FtlIsAwesome

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?