Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inside A RAM card

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    Hey,
    I am interested in knowing about the insides of a RAM card. I want to know what type of capacitors they use in RAM cards, how are they made and what is the maximum capacitance of these capacitors?... Also what type of transistors they use in the memory cells.

How is the data read? I understand that a sense amplifier is used, but what does it do and how does it work? and how is it able to detect multiple cells at the same time or are the cells read serially? one after the other.

If there is some source that explains these things in detail.. It would be very helpful..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 11, 2008 #3
    When you talk about the RAM card are you talking about the memory you put in the dimm slots?

5. Mar 11, 2008 #4
    yeah... exactly... Not flash cards, RAM cards, the ones that you insert into the DIMM slots of your motherboard, the volatile ones..

6. Mar 11, 2008 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?