George Gamow: Turning Double Apples into Doughnuts & Inverse Universes

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, George Gamow's book "One Two Three Infinity" explains on pages 56-58 the concept of turning a "double apple" into a doughnut and then using the reverse process to create an "inverse universe" where a human is turned inside out. The process involves changing the material of the doughnut itself and not the surrounding space. Gamow discusses the concept of a "free surface" and its role in the transformation.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
In George Gamow's book "One Two Three Infinity" he explains on page 56 how to turn a "double apple" with a free surface into a doughnut:
http://books.google.com/books?id=EZ...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA57,M1
He then (page 58) goes on to explain how the reverse process can be used to make an "inverse universe" where a human is somehow tured inside out.
I'm pretty sure that I understand how the double apple is changed to a doughnut but I don't understand how the reverse process make an inverse universe. It seems as if we just have to change the material of the doughnut itself and not the surrounding space.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the surface he demarcates "FREE". What is it bounding in each step? :)

What is the significance of George Gamow's work?

George Gamow was a renowned physicist who made significant contributions to our understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe. His work on nuclear physics and the Big Bang theory paved the way for important discoveries in cosmology.

What is the "Turning Double Apples into Doughnuts" theory?

The "Turning Double Apples into Doughnuts" theory, also known as the alpha-beta-gamma theory, was proposed by George Gamow in 1948. It explains how the elements of the periodic table were formed in the early universe through nuclear reactions involving alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma rays.

What are inverse universes?

Inverse universes are hypothetical universes that operate in reverse time. This idea was first proposed by George Gamow in 1947 as a solution to the problem of time asymmetry in physics. Inverse universes would have a different arrow of time, with events unfolding in reverse order compared to our universe.

How did George Gamow contribute to the development of the Big Bang theory?

George Gamow's work on the Big Bang theory was influential in shaping our current understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe. He proposed the idea of a hot and dense early universe filled with radiation, which eventually expanded and cooled to form the universe we see today. He also predicted the existence of cosmic microwave background radiation, which was later confirmed by the COBE satellite.

What is the legacy of George Gamow's work?

George Gamow's work has had a lasting impact on the fields of nuclear physics and cosmology. His theories and models have been integral to our understanding of the universe and have inspired further research and discoveries. He also played a crucial role in popularizing science through his books and writings, making complex concepts accessible to a wider audience.