Explore the Insights of Physics Forums

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Grinkle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that there should be a more easily accessible index for PF's insight articles, as they are a valuable resource that often go unnoticed. Suggestions include creating a single page with links and descriptions of all existing articles, or a downloadable table with various categories for organization. The conversation also discusses the possibility of including direct links to relevant insight articles in forum topics. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for better visibility and organization of PF's insightful articles.
Grinkle
Gold Member
This is barely specific enough that I will label it a suggestion. Its certainly not a complaint.

It would be great if there were a more digestible index for insight articles. I have been thinking for a while now that PF needs an insight article on the twin paradox, and then in a thread @Orodruin posts this link!

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/geometrical-view-time-dilation-twin-paradox/

There it was all along, it was in the FAQ section. Anyway, I didn't notice it was in the FAQ section when I first saw it, and coming back later I didn't look there for it, and I couldn't find it. So I found the thread again where the link is and then realized its in the FAQ section. My point being that just browsing, without previous knowledge that this article exists, I never stumbled across it.

There many B and I level threads opened by folks who are starting from incorrect premises. These threads can imo often benefit from having a reference to an existing insight article posted. Speaking for myself, I find attempting to explain something very beneficial to my own understanding, so I am not suggesting threads be ended with a reference to an insight article - I get a lot of benefit from seeing how different folks explain and learn the same concepts.

Perhaps one page with links and descriptions of all extant articles in a single list would increase traffic to the articles? I say that without knowing how many insights exist. Somewhere around a couple hundred, imo, the single page list idea breaks.

Maybe a downloadable table (csv's) with columns like Title, Author, each keyword in its own table, the Forum name its most applicable to, number of likes, number of views? Then Excel oriented folks can do their own indexing.

PF's Insight articles are a wonder of the internet, in my estimation, and they get very little 'airplay' in basic threads, relative to how explanatory and valuable a resource they are.

Likes jim mcnamara and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Is that index linked somewhere? I don't find it.
Top drop down item "view all" in the forums and then linked on the right sidebar in Insights.

Likes mfb and Grinkle
@Greg Bernhardt How about changing that from View All to Categorized ToC of all Insight Articles?

Grinkle said:
@Greg Bernhardt How about changing that from View All to Categorized ToC of all Insight Articles?
It's a little long to fit in that small menu. Maybe just Table of Contents?

Likes Grinkle
"Table of contents" sounds good. "View all" sounds like it does the same as the direct link (without dropdown), just like "Show all" in the alerts section does the same as clicking the "Alerts" header.

Likes jim mcnamara and Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
Is that index linked somewhere? I don't find it.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Top drop down item "view all" in the forums and then linked on the right sidebar in Insights.
I am missing something, I can't find that elusive "view all" at all. Could you be a bit more specific?

Tom.G said:
I can't find that elusive "view all" at all.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Maybe just Table of Contents?

Its been renamed already to Table of Contents.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums"?

"Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" is a platform that offers a diverse community of scientists, researchers, and students a space to discuss and share insights on various topics related to physics. It is a valuable resource for anyone interested in expanding their knowledge and understanding of the subject.

2. How can I join "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums"?

You can join "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" by simply creating an account on the website. It is free to join and all you need is a valid email address. Once you have created an account, you can start exploring the different forums and participate in discussions.

3. What type of discussions can I expect to find on "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums"?

There are a wide variety of discussions on "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" ranging from general physics topics to more specific and advanced topics. You can find discussions on classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, astrophysics, thermodynamics, and many more. Users can also start their own discussions and ask questions.

4. Is "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" only for experts in the field of physics?

No, "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" is for anyone interested in physics, regardless of their level of expertise. It is a welcoming and inclusive community where beginners can learn from experts and vice versa. The forums are designed to be accessible and informative for all levels of understanding.

5. Can I use "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" for my research or academic studies?

Yes, "Explore the Insights of Physics Forums" can be a valuable resource for research and academic studies. The discussions and insights shared by members can provide new perspectives and ideas for your work. However, it is important to properly cite any information or ideas taken from the forums in your research or studies.