Insight on holography at the planck scale

In summary, holography at the Planck scale is a concept in theoretical physics that suggests information is encoded on a 2D surface for a 3D object. It relates to quantum gravity and has yet to be observed directly. Proving it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe, but there is some controversy surrounding it.
Andrew Bone
Part of my basic understanding of the holographic principal is that the amount information in a given area of space is less than the surface area that surrounds that region (measured in Planck units squared). The exception being that in the case of a black hole the information stored within an area of space is equal to and perfectly correlated to the information stored on the surface area of the event horizon of the said black hole.

From this we can derive that the surface area of the event horizon of the universe operates in the same or a similar manner as that of the event horizon of a black hole, just with less information inside than is capable of being stored (so no collapse to a black hole). I mention all this because if there is a problem in my basic premise or understand I would like to know.

Given the above is correct, we must infer information exists at the Planck scale in some form. So an individual unit of information at the Planck scale is its surface area squared. Using the same logic as above and given the Planck scale logically functions as an event horizon or singularity, should we not infer that a single Planck unit of information contains within its confines a higher dimensional hologram of the same information stored on the surface area. This seems to be a violation of physics and at the same time a logical outcome of the holographic theroy.

Would love your thoughts on the above thinking (where you think I go wrong etc.).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your thoughts on the holographic principle. I appreciate your interest and curiosity in this topic.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the holographic principle is a theoretical concept that is still being explored and studied by scientists. It is not yet a fully established theory and there is still much debate and research being conducted on its validity.

That being said, your understanding of the basic premise of the holographic principle is generally correct. The idea is that the information contained within a given region of space can be fully described by the information on its boundary (or surface area). This is often compared to a hologram, where a three-dimensional image can be created from the information on a two-dimensional surface.

However, it is important to note that the holographic principle does not necessarily imply that information exists at the Planck scale. The Planck scale is the smallest scale at which our current understanding of physics breaks down, and it is not clear how the holographic principle would apply at this scale. It is possible that there may be a deeper underlying structure or theory that governs the behavior at the Planck scale.

Furthermore, the idea that a single Planck unit of information contains a higher dimensional hologram is not necessarily supported by the current understanding of the holographic principle. While it is true that a higher dimensional hologram can contain more information than a lower dimensional one, it is not clear how this would apply at the Planck scale.

In summary, while your thinking is certainly interesting, it is important to keep in mind that the holographic principle is still a theoretical concept and there is much more research and study needed to fully understand its implications. I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions and sparks further discussion on this topic. Thank you again for your contribution to the forum.

1. What is holography at the Planck scale?

Holography at the Planck scale is a concept in theoretical physics that suggests the information contained within a three-dimensional object can be encoded on its two-dimensional surface. This idea is based on the Planck length, which is the smallest unit of length that can be measured in the universe.

2. How does holography at the Planck scale relate to quantum gravity?

Holography at the Planck scale is closely tied to the theory of quantum gravity. This is because at the Planck scale, the laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity are thought to merge, and holography is a way of describing the relationship between these two theories.

3. Can we observe holography at the Planck scale?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence for holography at the Planck scale. This is because the Planck length is incredibly small and beyond our current technological capabilities to measure. However, some theories and models in physics suggest that holography at the Planck scale could be observed indirectly through phenomena such as black holes.

4. What are the implications of holography at the Planck scale?

If holography at the Planck scale is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could provide a new way of reconciling the differences between quantum mechanics and general relativity, and ultimately lead to a more comprehensive theory of everything.

5. Is there any controversy surrounding holography at the Planck scale?

As with any theory in physics, there is always some level of debate and controversy. Some scientists argue that holography at the Planck scale is inconsistent with certain fundamental principles of physics, while others believe it could be a key to unlocking some of the greatest mysteries of our universe.